Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > New brewer needs help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 11:28 PM   #1
brek01
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default New brewer needs help

Hey fellow brewers I just got done making my second batch of beer but they both kinda tasted the same. I have a really basic setup not much testing equipment. My first batch was an American ale and the second was a pumpkin ale. Both had a great flavor when I was putting them into my primary, but the end result came out the same same flavor. So I guess it probably has to do with how I ferment. Hopefully this little bit of info will get me headed into the right direction.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 11:30 PM   #2
jwalk4
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 20

What type of yeasts? What temperatures were the beers fermenting at?

Fermenter 1 - Mynx and Maple's Too Wild Mild
Fermenter 2 - 2 Hearted Clone
Bottle conditioning - Nothing
Drinking - Aged Porter, APA

Old 11-16-2012, 11:35 PM   #3
brek01
Recipes 

Well the pumpkin was safale us-05 dry ale yeast, and I had it sitting in a closet and the temp was around 70, I can't find the name for the other batch but it was also a dry yeast. The first batch was only in a Carboy for two weeks then bottled for two weeks. And with the pumpkin it was in a bucket for a week and Carboy for a week then in bottles for the same

Old 11-17-2012, 12:16 AM   #4
mgortel
Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

I think you would do well to ferment at a lower temp.....mid 60's perhaps......

Also....be more patient....leave your beer in bucket/carboy longer and let them bottle condition longer.....

2 weeks in carboy and 2 weeks in bottle is pretty quick and green....depends on beer....but if I was you I would give it 3 weeks in primary.....and then min 3 weeks in bottles (depends on beer....but these are normally my mins)......again....little cooler on fermentation temp if you can.......

More information would be helpful...maybe post what your plans are for next brew and how you plan to brew it and ferment....and let us give you feedback....you will get a lot of help here from guys if you give full details and dont be afraid to ask what you might thin are dumb questions....we all started out like that

BTW....fermentation temperature = big impact on beer......if you had beer in closet at 70F...then beer probably was at 73-74 which is high......beer will ferment at 3-4 degrees higher than ambient (and even higher in some cases) due to the fact that the yeast activity creates heat (exothermic reaction)......read up on this sight all you can!

EVERYONE is entitled to my opinion!

Primary #1: Fat Tire Clone
Primary #2: Oatmeal Stout
Primary #3: Empty

Upcoming Brews:
English Pale Ale

Bottled:
Biermuncher Centennail Blonde

Old 11-17-2012, 12:21 AM   #5
jwalk4
Recipes 

Hmm, well a few things to try next time:

1) Keep your beer in the primary fermenter a little longer, the yeast is still in the conditioning phase at 2 weeks. Honestly, I have never racked my beer to a secondary and still get great, clear beer. So leave it in the primary for 3 weeks minimum.

2) Try to cool down your beer a little more, at least for the first 3-4 days of fermentation. If your room is 70F, then the yeast fermenting can be anywhere from 5-10 degrees higher while they're in their primary/ attenuative phase, thus resulting in off flavors. To accomplish this, try to make a swamp cooler. Simply put your fermenter inside a cheap rubbermaid tub or a cooler, with some water and add ice packs every 12 hours or so. If you still need to get it cooler, then try to put an old T-shirt over top of the fermenter and put a fan on it. You are aiming to keep the beer at 60F.

Remember, it is only for the first few days, that you need to do this. After 3-4 days take the fermenter out of the bucket and leave it for 3 weeks.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:23 AM   #6
jwalk4
Recipes 

Lol @mgorte, you beat me to it.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:43 AM   #7
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgortel View Post
I think you would do well to ferment at a lower temp.....mid 60's perhaps......

Also....be more patient....leave your beer in bucket/carboy longer and let them bottle condition longer.....

2 weeks in carboy and 2 weeks in bottle is pretty quick and green....depends on beer....but if I was you I would give it 3 weeks in primary.....and then min 3 weeks in bottles (depends on beer....but these are normally my mins)......again....little cooler on fermentation temp if you can.......

More information would be helpful...maybe post what your plans are for next brew and how you plan to brew it and ferment....and let us give you feedback....you will get a lot of help here from guys if you give full details and dont be afraid to ask what you might thin are dumb questions....we all started out like that

BTW....fermentation temperature = big impact on beer......if you had beer in closet at 70F...then beer probably was at 73-74 which is high......beer will ferment at 3-4 degrees higher than ambient (and even higher in some cases) due to the fact that the yeast activity creates heat (exothermic reaction)......read up on this sight all you can!
3-4 degrees is probably an understatement. Sometimes it's 10 degrees+.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 11-17-2012, 01:52 AM   #8
smooth
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The freshness of your spices in the pumpkin ale could be a factor?

Pumpkin/Squash beers really seem to be about: what spices/adjuncts are used, and how much.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:47 AM   #9
brek01
Recipes 

Ok thanks for the tips and I think when I get my next batch ready to go I will put it up and see if I'm missing something else besides keeping my temps cooler. Both of these have been kits that were prepackaged so I just followed the direction with the two week fermentation then two weeks in the bottles. But a big thanks so far, and I definitely will be reading up more on my new found hobby

Old 11-17-2012, 03:04 PM   #10
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1904 Times on 1677 Posts
Likes Given: 1410

To be honest,the 1st thing we all learn on here is that kit instructions time lines suck major. Read up on here to find out what we did/learned & you'll get a better product. I primary only for 3 weeks on average for average gravity ales. That's time for the beer to hit FG,& 3-7 days for it to clean up & settle out clear or slightly misty. Then prime & bottle. They'll clear up in a couple days at 70F or better. Higher temps at this point won't cause off flavors as they would during initial fermentation.
3 to 4 weeks is good for average ales ime. Then at least a week in the fridge to settle out chill haze & get co2 into solution. 2 weeks fridge time gives thicker head & longer lasting carbonation.

Quick Reply