New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > New brew tastes like soy sauce?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2008, 08:09 PM   #1
microwave135
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default New brew tastes like soy sauce?

Hi there all,

I am new to home brewing, just having started 2 months ago, very excited very glad to have a great resource like HBT.

I brewed my first batch of beer three weeks ago, it was a dunkelweizen:

1# Caramunich
3.3# Wheat LME
3.3# Amber LME
1oz. Argentina Cascades (60 mins)
Wyeast German Ale Yeast
1/2c. white sugar (priming)

1 week primary
~2 weeks in the bottle

Brew day went great, the only weird thing I did (and now I know better) is putting 7 lbs of ice directly into the fermenter to cool the wort down. (I had become interested by watching "Amber Waves," the Good Eats episode about beer making by food celebrity Alton Brown. He reccomended the ice solution)

My question is this: I opened a bottle up the other day to see how it was, and the color was a beautiful garnet, rather clear for a wheat beer, nice head, and the distinct taste of soy sauce.

Is this an issue of the yeast? Is this because I accidentally fermented the beer around 75 degrees? Is this just some estery compound that will mellow out in the conditioning phase?

I possess no particular penchant for patience, so should I just wait it out (of course I should.)

Anyone every encounter such an odd flavor compound?

thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2008, 08:23 PM   #2
BEER_4_BREAKFAST
Recipes 

I'm sorry, but the title of this thread made me laugh my ass off. I hope my first batch doesnt taste like Soy sauce!

My guess is that the ice in the fermenter wasnt a good idea and you should have let it sit in the primary for more than 1 week, but I'm sure the veterans of the home brew world here will follow up with better advice.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:28 PM   #3
stevefarns
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've used that yeast before and have never had any sort of a soy sauce flavor. I haven't used either those hops or the barley before. I'd be curious to hear if people here have an opinion on those. I know you mentioned it, and already have a reply on it... but that ice is probably something you don't want to do again. Even out of my own freezer I've had ice cubes that change the flavor of water based on what happens to be in there at the time. I can only imagine what that will do to your beer considering it hasn't been boiled.
I wouldn't let this discourage you. The beer is still young and the flavor could change over the next couple of weeks to a month. Even if this beer never loses that flavor, I think we'll all have a bad batch or two at some point.

On draft: chinook blonde
On draft: vcca
Primary: Citra IPA
Aging: Westvleteren 12
Aging: JOAM
On Deck: Imperial Honey Porter
On Deck: Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale

Old 09-26-2008, 08:30 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3453

How long has the beer been in the bottles before tasting it???

If you brewed it 3 weeks ago, the beer has barely had any time to bottle condition....

Click on the number next to the " Blog entries" and read the first blog there...it will explain what's going on....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-26-2008, 08:33 PM   #5
Buzz_Armstrong
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

RDWHAHB

Let it sit for a while and if it still tastes like soy sauce, serve it with sushi!

YUM.

--------------------------------------------------
Primary 1: Belgian Wit
Primary 2: Chocolate Bock
Secondary 1: Oatmeal Stout
Secondary 2: Empty
Kegged: Mexican Cerveza Ale, Amber Ale, ApfelWein
Bottled: just a few assorted items remain (BIG SAD FACE)

Old 09-26-2008, 08:43 PM   #6
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Prolly patience is in order microwave (man with a name like that, I suspect it'll be hard ). Weird meaty flavor compounds can disappear over time iirc.

BTW....Welcome to the forums!

Have a look see:

Look in the Gray area (Sulphury) is caused by fresh Yeast. I believe this is what you are experiencing.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Last edited by zoebisch01; 09-26-2008 at 08:46 PM.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:45 PM   #7
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

Congratulations! You made Samuel Adams Triple Bock! No, wait, that has to be molasses and soy sauce.

Seriously, soy sauce makes me think of oxidation, so that might be your problem. It especially makes me think of old, oxidized extract, so that might be your specific problem. I don't see how it would be anything else would be. The German Ale yeast is pretty clean (really, too clean for a dunkelweizen), and the Argentine Cascades hops are fine for that beer and in that amount.

So, do you know how old the extract was?

More bottle conditioning may help, but if your problem lies with old, oxidized extract, then it probably will not.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 09-26-2008, 08:47 PM   #8
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well - don't do anything ever again from that show in regards to making beer!! He had dozens of errors.

To be honest I don';t even know what a dunkelweizen is SUPPOSE to taste like LOL

Do you like Chinese food?? I've never seen that flavor and perhaps you have stumbled upon something :-)

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at 85 degrees as I type.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:52 PM   #9
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder12000 View Post
Well - don't do anything ever again from that show in regards to making beer!! He had dozens of errors.
I'll second that. After buying some of his gear, ol' AB started losing me a little while buying agreement. Once he got home, he went off the rails in a big way

And, Zoebisch01, that is a good point about the "meaty" part of the soy sauce flavor. The beer might be fine in time.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 09-26-2008, 08:54 PM   #10
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexLaw View Post
Congratulations! You made Samuel Adams Triple Bock! No, wait, that has to be molasses and soy sauce.

Seriously, soy sauce makes me think of oxidation, so that might be your problem. It especially makes me think of old, oxidized extract, so that might be your specific problem. I don't see how it would be anything else would be. The German Ale yeast is pretty clean (really, too clean for a dunkelweizen), and the Argentine Cascades hops are fine for that beer and in that amount.

So, do you know how old the extract was?

More bottle conditioning may help, but if your problem lies with old, oxidized extract, then it probably will not.

TL

Indeed, it could be that as well. If the extract is bad then unfortunately there is no amount of conditioning that will rid it. However, to me, Soy sauce has a distinct meaty flavor to it which can tie in with Yeast specifically as Yeast extracts are used to add meaty flavors in the food industry. Now if they autolyze it or not, of that I am not sure.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Quick Reply