Need help converting a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BW210

Reaction score
I brewed a partial grain Brewers Best kit American Amber for 5 gallons and would like to do it in a 12 gallon full boil.

Here is what I started with:

3.3# Amber LME
2.5 lb Amber DME
1# Carmel 80l
1.25 oz bittering Golding hops
.5 oz aroma Nugget hops

OG 1.050
FG 1.015

I hit both right on the money starting with 6 gallons water. Did a 3 gallon steep of grain @150 degrees for 30 minutes. Brought to a boil and added DME and then again LME. Added hops at 60 min and 5 min. Added to 3 gallons of water and ended up with 5.5 gallons. I would like it to be a little more hoppy.

I'm thinking of starting with 12 gallons total. Using 4# of Caramel 80l and steeping cold and bringing temp up slowly to 160 degrees (maybe an hour?). Remove grain and add 3# out of 12# total Amber DME and bring to boil. Add 2oz Golding hops, add 3 oz Nugget hops at 25 min and 3 oz Nugget hops at 5 min. Add remaining 9# of amber DME.

I would like to end up with 11 gallons and pour half into 2 carboys with a WLP001 California Ale yeast starter each.

Plugged in using Hopville and ended up pretty close to all the numbers.

Opinions please... going to order stuff later this week.

Latest posts

Back