Need to create a makeshift airlock & bung

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlanier01

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
To create an empty primary bucket, I need to rack the beer currently in the container to a 5 gallon glass carboy.

The problem is, I do not have a carboy bung for the glass carboy. Since the beer going into the glass carboy is being racked after 2 weeks in the primary.

Can I just create a seal with saran wrap and packing tape? I could get to my homebrew store tomorrow to replace it with a proper bung.

Just want to see if there are any MacGyver type solutions out there or, if I should just tape it up and get to my LHBS tomorrow.

Thanks,
J

Sanitize a balloon if you have any around. When/If it starts to swell poke a pin hole or two in to it.

...Can I just create a seal with saran wrap and packing tape?...
The answer is a DEFINITE NO!!!

NEVER seal off the fermenter. Any pressure that cannot make it out has the potential for blowing out the sides of the carboy. :D

Use a balloon, but make sure there's a hole in is to the gasses can escape.

And yes, if you end up using a lubed condom you can tape that in place...just don't forget to bite a hole in it...:D

Since thread has bung in the title, it is officially endorsed as part of;

beavis_and_butthead.jpg

Heh heh you said condum. :D

NEVER seal off the fermenter. Any pressure that cannot make it out has the potential for blowing out the sides of the carboy. :D

Don't worry, the Saran Wrap will blow long before the carboy does. For that matter, so would the tape.

Yea, it is for a secondary, so I didn't expect a lot of pressure, that said....the first rubber band broke.. when I wasn't looking..

I guess a little bit of blow off is still going on in the secondary... I managed to get a small piece of plastic between the rubber band to allow some pressure to escape.

Latest posts

Back