The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > NB New Old Ale - Late Hop Addition

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2009, 02:19 AM   #1
horseman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default NB New Old Ale - Late Hop Addition

I am brewing Northern Brewer's New Old Ale and failed to see the hops were supposed to go in at the beginning of the boil. I threw them in at 25 minutes into the boil. Any idea how this will mess with a big malty brew such as this?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2009, 03:23 AM   #2
flaminpi3
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It generally takes at least 45 minutes for complete isomerization of the alpha acids, so you're going to end up with a lot less hop bitterness. But with a brew that's already tipping the malty scale, I don't think it's going to have too much of a detrimental effect. What was your exact hop schedule?

“For art to exist, for any sort of aesthetic activity or perception to exist, a certain physiological precondition is indispensable: intoxication.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Old 05-05-2009, 03:28 AM   #3
horseman
Recipes 

I was supposed to add 1oz of hops at the beginning of the boil and I didn't add them until 25 minutes in. I decided to extend the boil to give the hops a complete 60 minute boil since the malt probably doesn't change even with a longer boil. That way, the hops gets boiled long enough.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:32 AM   #4
BioBeing
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Sounds like you are fine then. You did the right thing! If the hops got a 60 min boil, they'll isomerize. The extra boil shouldn't hurt the wort at all.

Quick Reply