My first time was great!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deniro

Reaction score
Well, I had posted some recently about wanting to get a kit. I ended up getting a kit from Midwest, but I got the kit with the bucket primary/better bottle secondary (as opposed to better bottles for both). I also got a turkey fryer from walmart, which was delivered on Friday of last week. I had ordered the items Monday night so saw surprised. Even more surprising was when the Midwest shipment showed up on Saturday. I didn't expect a Saturday delivery, although it was great, so I didn't have all of my supplies ready.

So I had the time on Sunday, but had to wait until the afternoon. I was able to get the remaining items and start about 5:00. The first bit I had to put the fryer together, and then steep the grains, etc. I was trying a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone kit.
The boil went well, no boil overs although the hop pellets were messy when they went in and sort of broke up. The only thing I forgot was to put in a whirlfloc thing, but that is kind of minor.

I used a wort chiller for cooling and it cooled the wort down fast. Boiling to about 75 in under 20 minutes. I am boiling outside, so other methods using ice or frozen stuff wouldn't work so well for me. Siphoned to the bucket, agitated, poured in some White Labs California Ale yeast and tucket it away to ferment.

Monday evening it had begun bubbling through the airlock, and seemed to be done by Wed evening. I took a hydrometer reading tonight and it looks to be at the proper final gravity of 1.010 (started at 1.044), so I guess I will rack tomorrow or Saturday to secondary.

I tried to taste a little of it, but will get a better sample tomorrow, but it tasted nice and hoppy given it's youth. I'm happy that it has gone well so far, and look forward to making a second batch (and trying this first one).

Thanks to those who helped me out when I was asking questions. One thing I had forgotten to get was a good cylinder to hold a small sample for the hydrometer, without having to put it in the wort itself. Maybe not 100% necessary, but it's cheap enough to do if that means one less thing in the wort.

Thanks again, and here's to the next one.

Congrats on the brew day...and now the hard part...waiting.
Do yourself a big favour and make sure you save some beer to try in 2 months...and some in 4 months. You'll be surprised at how well it matures. Also keep your notes safe...they are very valuable when constructing your own reciepes.

Cheers.

If you want to kill time while waiting brew another. I tried my first homebrew a about a month ago while i was brewing my third beer, now im sitting on about four cases of homebrew ready to drink and ten gallons fermenting/clearing. As soon as i bottle and rack i buy more ingredients. I was addicted before i even had a sip

tbulger said:
If you want to kill time while waiting brew another. I tried my first homebrew a about a month ago while i was brewing my third beer, now im sitting on about four cases of homebrew ready to drink and ten gallons fermenting/clearing. As soon as i bottle and rack i buy more ingredients. I was addicted before i even had a sip
Good advice if you want a steady supply of homebrew and not have to drink them to early. I have about 6 cases now and they are much better to drink because they are not green.

Agreed.

Number one rule...don't drink your brew too early.
Number two rule...brew more...immediately...in order to keep your mind off rule number one.

Get that brewery pipeline cranked up and by July 4th, you'll have a whole array of craft beers to choose from.

Well done. I won't be repetetive, but what was said above is good advice. Don't get cocky and cut corners, just do what you did the first time, only make improvements where you see you might need them. We all learn something new ever time we brew.

I can't believe your kit came with a hydrometer, but not the tube. :confused: I'd certainly get a tube when you get a chance. It's much easier to read from the tube. And, if you do happen to infect it, you ruined the amount in the tube, not the entire batch.

I also use a turkey baster to draw the wort out of the bucket to put into the tube. very easy.

Back