My first brewing experience

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrWednesday

Reaction score
Last month I ordered the Northern Brewer Imperial Stout extract kit. I actually brewed this the day after Thanksgiving. By my count, I made a few key mistakes.

First, my stock pot was only three gallons. The directions said I'd need two gallons of water, but I didn't take the LME I'd be adding into account. Even the steeping grains displaced the water right to the top of the pot. So once everything was added I had a few overflows and boil overs.

Also, I did things in kind of a reverse order. The directions said to add one jug of LME and 2 oz. of hops at 60:00, then the second jug of LME at 15:00. I added two jugs of LME and one oz. of hops at 60:00 and the second oz. of hops at 15:00. I'm curious about what this will cause. My guess is that the result will be a sweeter finish since the hops weren't fully present in the entire boil. I should have read the directions a little closer. Call it beginner's hubris!

Can anyone shed some light on to what that will do or will I just have to wait and see?

It's sitting in Primary right now and will be until after Christmas. Worst case scenario I've got beer, right?

yea you will end up with beer. poor guy. like IrregularPulse said it wont be as bitter and will taste different. only time will tell how it will turn out. it will definitely be drinkable and just fine.

At least it was a stout and nothing that was supposed to be more hoppy in flavor. I think it will turn out fine. Plus, now you have an excuse to brew the same recipe again, so you can compare tastes and see which you like better.

At least it was a stout and nothing that was supposed to be more hoppy in flavor. I think it will turn out fine. Plus, now you have an excuse to brew the same recipe again, so you can compare tastes and see which you like better.

I like the way you think!

Latest posts

Back