My first brew. Brewer's Best India Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firesmacker

Reaction score
I meant to post this earlier but life got in the way. I went ahead and pulled the trigger this last Sunday.

Everything went pretty well with only a few minor issues. One was my burner would go low enough while I was steeping the grains. It kept want to go higher than 165 degrees and I couldn't turn it down anymore without it flaming out. There were only about 5 minutes left so I just shut it off. Problem solved.

The other mistake was talking to my wife so I forgot to set the timer for the last 30 minutes until a few had gone by.

I also couldn't get an OG reading to save my life. There were too many bubbles in the fermenting bucket and my mason jars were too shallow. I know its not a deal breaker but I will never know my FG, I guess. I need a thief.

Anyway, it's been fermenting since Sunday. It was bubbling merrily away until yesterday when it started slowing down. It bubbles maybe 2-3 times a minute now so all is well.

One thing that surprised me was that there was no trub when I transferred it. The bottom of the pot just had a little residue. Any thoughts?

Thanks for reading. Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Jeff

Trub only appears after fermentation is over, leave it for a month and you'll have at least 1 inch of the stuff on the bottom...

Thanks for the advice. I have an LBHS "Brew and Grow" like 5 minutes from my house. I was planning on heading there tomorrow. So I'll pick up what I need.

Back