My Dog Ate My Priming Sugar!!!???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoatDude

Reaction score
I got my first home brew kit for x-mas and brewed a batch of IPA. I wanted to bottle tomorrow night but my dog got up on the counter and ate my pre measured bag of priming sugar which came with the IPA kit. Can I find sugar that will work in my local grocery store or do I need to mail order more sugar and wait until tuesday night???

you can use regular cane sugar from just about anywear. About one ounce per one gallon of brew. I had to respond to this thread, I am sorry to laugh at your misfortune.

Drink them in good health

You can use table sugar, no problem. Do you have a scale? Or will you use a measuring cup? A little kitchen scale is most accurate, but you can use measuring cups if you have to.

There is a slight difference in the amount of corn sugar vs. table sugar you use, so check out this calculator to be more precise: http://kotmf.com/tools/prime.php

If you feel like a drive, you can come up and have all of mine. I don't really use it anymore.:p Probably only about a 9 hours each way.

if you just order some more and wait until it arrives before you bottle you will just end up with a clearer beer. Aside from the wait, its not really a bad thing. I never used table sugar, but I have learned that patience has a huge impact on how well your beers turn out. (and the only bad batch has been when I put in the keg WAY too soon)

Thank you for all your help. this is my first time on the web site and it's full of helpfull tips! My batch has been in the car boy 6 days now. Will a couple more days be ok?

Thank you for all your help. this is my first time on the web site and it's full of helpfull tips! My batch has been in the car boy 6 days now. Will a couple more days be ok?

Hold the phone. In fermemtation about 6 days? only 6 days?

Minimmum should be no less then 14 day. You should check your gravity readings and see if your even done fermenting if I am reading this right and you've only been in fermentation only 6 days.

Beer can sit in a airlocked glass carboy almost indefiantly. I have heard of lambics and stouts in carboys for sevral months even 1 year plus with lambics. You arent hurting it letting it sit. Pactients is everything.

I try (sometimes unsucessfully) to keep in primary for at least two weeks, but I don't have very much patience. You would be better off letting it sit for a while longer anyway. The only bad batch I have had is when I removed from fermentation after only 7 days. It was horrible.

"Patience" Damn! It's looking me in the eye and saing "DRINK ME!!" Thanks again for the good info. I guess the dog is out of the hot seat now....

Back