Is my custom kit complete?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MysticPhantom

Reaction score
So after seeing a few friends of mine make their own wine/mead... I am going to try my hand at making cider! I'm not locked in to using Midwest Supplies, but all products listed below are from their site. I had a $150 limit and this is what I put together. Is this a good complete kit? I'm up for recommendations!

5G Glass CB - 28.95
6G BetterBot - 21.95
Airlock x 2 - 2.50
Rubber Stopper 10 - 2.00
Rubber stopper 7 - .90
thermohydrometer - 12.95
SS Racking Cane x 2 - 25.90
5/16 tubing x 6ft - 2.70
Carboy Cap x 2 - 5.00
Bottling Buck - 12.50
Spring Tip Filler - 2.75
Bench Bottle Capper - 32.95

Total 151.05

Before you make your decision on using a glass carboy or a better bottle, go to the homebrew store and left each one and then try to imaging what they feel like with 5 gallons of liquid in them. Then imagine them slipping from your fingers when you try to pick them up to move them and imagine the consequences of them hitting the floor full of the liquid.

I like the handles on the plastic fermenting bucket and I like the size of opening to pour liquids into and the price isn't too bad either. Just food for thought.

Thanks for the reply... I did consider going all plastic or going glass. I figured I would try both right off the bat so I can judge for myself which is better. After reading some of the horror stories of possibly dropping the glass and having is shattered I almost went plastic right away, but I'm hoping I can take the same of carefulness with keeping everything sanitized as I can with not breaking the glass carboy!

I didn't look thru all your stuff, but at first glance it looks like MW second kit:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brewing-starter-kit.html plus a 6 gallon better bottle.

So... $89 plus $21.....vs 151? Could be wrong, just glanced.

Even if I am...you're going to get more value starting with a kit then just picking up the things you lack..and end up with more flexibility as you decide what works better for you.

Yeah I saw that kit, my kit is the same thing but with some upgrades. I've heard people complain about the auto siphon cracking/breaking, so i went with a carboy cap and stainless steal racking cane. I've also heard people say the bench capper is so much better/easier then the winged ones. So I guess my question really is, are those upgrades along with the extra better bottle worth the extra $40 in the long run?

What's the cost of going with the kit and adding your upgrades? It may be more than the $151 but negligible enough that you're willing to throw a little more at it for deciding for yourself what you prefer.

There's a this vs that in the sticky up there ^^^^^^ that may shed more light. Welcome to homebrewing!

I wouldn't spend that much the capper or the racking cane. Bottling is a pain in the rear but capping is easy even with the cheaper capper. My autosiphon is awesome even if it does crack you can buy 3 and it's still cheaper than the SS racking cane. I'd also brew some beers before getting the 5 gallon glass carboy. You may decide that you don't want or need to secondary any brews. You can always buy it later once you decide what you like.

Thanks for all the insight and suggestions. I was going with 2 SS Racking canes, because in one of the posts, the person had 2 racking canes when racking from 1 carboy to a secondary carboy.

Thanks for all the insight and suggestions. I was going with 2 SS Racking canes, because in one of the posts, the person had 2 racking canes when racking from 1 carboy to a secondary carboy.

Got it. I've never even considered doing that, simply because it never occurred to me. I honestly don't think it'll make a huge deal one way or another as long as the outside of the hose you're using to transfer to the secondary is sanitized (just like the outside of the whole racking cane will have to be,) but it won't break the bank, so go for it if you want.

Other than that, your kit looks like you have the basics.

Back