My Black Lager stopped at 1.018. What to do now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tortus

Reaction score
10 days in and it's pretty much stopped fermenting at 1.018. I kept it in a temp controlled fridge at 54 degrees for the last 10 days.

OG 1.051
SG 1.018

The instructions said it should end up at 1.008. What should I do now? I'm thinking I'll just move it to secondary and lager for a few weeks. Any better ideas?

What will it taste like at 78% attenuation?

The instructions said it should end up at 1.008. What should I do now? I'm thinking I'll just move it to secondary and lager for a few weeks. Any better ideas?

A diacetyl rest may help you get closer to your projected FG, then you can lager.:mug:

I find it hard to believe that it would finish at 1.008. That's a very dry FG, and it's probably going to taste better anyway at a higher FG. You're at a tad under 64% attenuation- I'd expect a couple more gravity points, depending on what yeast strain you used and the ingredients. My maibock stops around 1.016, usually.

Now's a great time for a diacetyl rest!

Back