Mr. Beer Classic American Light

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobbop89

Reaction score
Ok I know that Mr. Beer takes a bad name with advanced brewers but I recently picked up a premium kit at our local Grabriel Brothers store for 19.99 for that price I didn't care what kind of quality the brew would be. I brewed it as per directions and just bottled it today with the supplied carbonating drops. But one beer I couldn't resist but to throw it into my soda stream and force carb(not recommended because I made a hell of a mess swmbo about had a coronary lol) and after all the mess had cleared I poured into a glass and tried it the head was beautiful it smelled nice and it tasted pretty darn good I am amazed. Although it is good I think if I had added my own bittering hops to the hme it came with it would have just set it over the top. I am very surprised and I think it may win over some bmc drinkers. This experience has inspired me to try the other refills available with perhaps some additions of my own. I definitely recommend this to first time brewers. I know this isn't very informative but I just had to share my surprise. Happy brewing

Sorry I can't figure out how to attach picture with my windows phone but take my word it is a beautiful crystal clear straw colored beer with a frothy white somewhat lasting head.

That's the same kit that was my intro into homebrewing. And I also bought it for less than half price, at a Kmart. The box was faded, scuffed, dusty and battered... Lord knows how old it was.

I wasn't as successful as you, though. Even though I let it ferment for three weeks, it was still cloudy and yeasty when I was done. But I drank it anyway....

Then I ordered their Biere De Saison 2013 Summer Seasonal kit. While I was waiting for it to arrive, I lost my little brown fermenting jug out of my pickup bed when the kit's cardboard box blew open.

So I said "the heck with it - in for a penny, in for a pound." I turned an old 5-gal ice chest into a mash tun with a copper tubing manifold, ordered a Chinese knock-off of a Corona mill for twenty five bucks, picked up a Walmart tamale pot for a boil kettle, and made my first trip to a homebrew store to buy grain and hops so I could double the batch.

The resulting half Mr. Beer/half all-grain batch was surprisingly tasty, and I've been brewing all-grain for a year now - upgrading my equipment as I go. My second batch, a stab at channel66's Shipwreck Saison, was a big hit at my nephew's wedding. Not in the Salvation Army facility where it took place (no booze allowed), but in the parking lot behind it...:)

Same beer that started it all for me too a year and a half ago. :D
I went from a Mr. beer keg in a cooler to a stand up freezer for fermenting, a 2 tap kegerator, and in process of building a 4 tap keezer. Be careful, this hobby can get out of control quickly.

Congrats man!!! Like the other posters and yourself, that was the kit that got me started. My swmbo purchased it for me at the ross she was working at at the time. I've now moved onto all grain, but I've kept the fermenter. I will hopefully be doing some experimental batches in it. Cheers!!

--------------------------------------

Where do you place your probe?

I will hopefully be doing some experimental batches in it.

Where do you place your probe?[/QUOTE]

i was thinking of using mine for Brett beers :rockin:

I will hopefully be doing some experimental batches in it.

i was thinking of using mine for Brett beers :rockin:[/QUOTE]

I've yet to try brewing any Brett beers, but I did want to take the their runnings on my next batch and just try some spontaneous fermentation. My landlord has a good variety of fruit and vegetable trees in the back.

SWMBO bought me a Mr Beer kit long ago as it was on sale for $6! This was before I understood fermentation temps, and so it turned out terrible. In fact every Mr Beer kit I've made has been poured!

The others were from a kit and a multi refill pack at a garage sale. These were all barely outdated (1-3 months past date), but I figured they'd likely be OK, and I subbed out the booster for DME, used my own yeast, and added hops at 15 and 5 mins to boost up the flavor. They were apparently stored in the garage the whole time and most tasted like molasses.

I'd still buy another kit if the price were really good with the intentions of doctoring them up. I generally create my own recipes and do partial mashes, but I'm not above a kit if the price is right.

That's the same kit that came with the Mr Beer package SWMBO got me for my birthday to introduce me to homebrewing. Ah, memories :)

Yup. Me too. Though I never made anything better than "okay" with the MrB mixes, it got me interested. I studied and practiced. Now I brew 5gal BIABs that have scored "Very Good" at events. MrBeer is just the thing to get started. Move on at your own pace.

Its been a long time, but I made some damn fine beers with Mr. Beer. Made some mediocre ones too, but that wasn't Mr. Beer's fault.

Drank them all, had a lot of fun, and learned a lot.

Can't ask for more than that

Latest posts

Back