MLT filter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triangulum33

Whenever it feels right!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking at different designs of converting coolers for mashing full grain.
Why do guys build (sometimes) elaborate pvc or stainless filters to drain wort?

Why not have a spigot and put your grains in a big ol grain bag. Seems like it would cheaper and easier to clean up.

Must get better beer out of the manifold filters somehow....

I just have a simple pvc manifold in a 50 quart cooler from Target. The whole thing cost me 34 bucks, and I get 75% with a batch sparge.

It depends on how you're sparging. Batch sparging you just need some kind of filter before the spigot; fly sparging you want to minimize 'channeling' of water by creating a drain with multiple filter points to get uniform draining straight down to rinse all the grain equally.

A grain bag will present a bit of a hassle when stirring the mash. For a no sparge, single infusion mash, a grain bag is fine (search BIAB or "brew in a bag"). If you're batch sparging, good luck stirring the sparge water into wet grain in a bag. When fly sparging, a false bottom improves lautering by creating an even space beneath a uniform grain bed.

I just use a Bargain Fittings kit with the braid filter. It comes with about 8-9" of large diameter braid. Simple, works great.

Back