Midwest supplies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
adamjackson said:
That's wha I started with minus the bottles since I jumped right into kegging. You'll love it.

How much did jumping into kegging run you? That's the only other thing I havent decided if I want to do/can afford to do. Just something about carbing in bottle has me a bit weirded out still.
Also to everyone else following my wild ass adventure, I just locked down a brand new Outdoor Classic 30 qt/55000 BTU pot for $50. Stoked as all get out on that.

vogtenstein222 said:
At that rate would I fare well to do a longer term clean on SS? They have a 7.5 gallon SS pot with a stand with 45,000 BTUs that they've only used once and cleaned thoroughly right after use. It's just hard to pass that up if it's doable, but I'm still not against just buying a new pot and taking the burner off their hands, money saved though yknow?

If its SS then you're good to go!!! It cleans thoroughly. Still, you may wish to do a hot scrub with some PBW water prior to brewing just to get rid of potential residuals.

BrewKid said:
I did a long term soak of water and Star San in my aluminum pot and had no pitting..

Hmmm ... Never thought of using star san as a cleanser .... I ha an issue once leaving PBW in an aluminum pot overnight ... Wasn't pretty ...

Okay so I keep seeing never use it for anything but beer after you use it for that once, but what if say, my wife's folks had one they used this year at thanksgiving for turkey and are willing to GIVE me free, would I be okay to do that if I boil the hell out of it, or should I just spend the money on brand spankin new?

This is how I got my brew pot. I had 2 of e'm, one had only been used a few times to fry a turkey, the other...well it's fried 50 turkeys I guess by now. Anyway I used dawn and some SOS pads on it, got it sparkling clean and then boiled regular tap water for a bit.

vogtenstein222 said:
What exactly is PBW? When and where does it get used?

PBW = Powdered Brewer's Wash. It is soap, essentially, designed for cleaning brewing equipment. There are a number of similar products out there - B-bright, Straight A, Easy Clean - but PBW is the most popular. Your LHBS will have it. Or it can be ordered from any online brewer's supply.

Fact is, you don't generally wan to use regular dish soap on brewing equipment. It isn't as effective, leaves a residue, and from what I understand, can ruin head retention in a beer.

Oh, and for the record, I wouldn't try to obtain it used ;) ;p

How much did jumping into kegging run you? That's the only other thing I havent decided if I want to do/can afford to do. Just something about carbing in bottle has me a bit weirded out still.
Also to everyone else following my wild ass adventure, I just locked down a brand new Outdoor Classic 30 qt/55000 BTU pot for $50. Stoked as all get out on that.

Those who keg wish they had done it earlier. Those that bottle think kegging would be cool but learning the system and spending the money + making a kegerator is a lot of extra time especially if you're new to the hobby.

I have a lot of local breweries like Harpoon, Hill Farmstead and others that sell kegs so my logic is that if I abandon homebrewing, I can just convert to Sankey connectors and have my favorite beer on tap!

=====

Here's what I started with

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brew-logic-quadruple-tap-draft-system-with-4-way-gas-manifold.html

Chose 5Pound CO2 Tank which fits in the fridge.
Switched the single CO2 regulator out for a dual regulator so I could serve Soda at a different PSI as my beer.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/double-co2-regulator.html

Then I bought some faucets for $30ish a piece and a crap load of cable + line cleaner.

Finally, I spent $350 on a full-size fridge that can hold 4 pepsi cans that already had the holes drilled in the front door...I store hops in the freezer and kegs below.

Here's my setup:

http://adam-jackson.net/beer/homebrewing-kegging-my-beers-part-2/

======

There's a kegging section on this site where guys do it much cheaper and they are experts..I'm still new at this.

Naturally, getting a dorm fridge that holds 2 kegs is much cheaper but having 4 beers on tap + 5 carboys fermenting + 2 kegs of beer ready to be tapped is a great pipeline to have...if I suffer some life altering injury, I have 55 gallons of beer ready to be on tap and serving within 24 hours of kegging it using the force carb method whereas bottling and you need at least 3 weeks from the fermentation ending to waiting on bottles to carbonate.

adamjackson said:
Those who keg wish they had done it earlier. Those that bottle think kegging would be cool but learning the system and spending the money + making a kegerator is a lot of extra time especially if you're new to the hobby.

I have a lot of local breweries like Harpoon, Hill Farmstead and others that sell kegs so my logic is that if I abandon homebrewing, I can just convert to Sankey connectors and have my favorite beer on tap!

=====

Here's what I started with

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brew-logic-quadruple-tap-draft-system-with-4-way-gas-manifold.html

Chose 5Pound CO2 Tank which fits in the fridge.
Switched the single CO2 regulator out for a dual regulator so I could serve Soda at a different PSI as my beer.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/double-co2-regulator.html

Then I bought some faucets for $30ish a piece and a crap load of cable + line cleaner.

Finally, I spent $350 on a full-size fridge that can hold 4 pepsi cans that already had the holes drilled in the front door...I store hops in the freezer and kegs below.

Here's my setup:

http://adam-jackson.net/beer/homebrewing-kegging-my-beers-part-2/

======

There's a kegging section on this site where guys do it much cheaper and they are experts..I'm still new at this.

Naturally, getting a dorm fridge that holds 2 kegs is much cheaper but having 4 beers on tap + 5 carboys fermenting + 2 kegs of beer ready to be tapped is a great pipeline to have...if I suffer some life altering injury, I have 55 gallons of beer ready to be on tap and serving within 24 hours of kegging it using the force carb method whereas bottling and you need at least 3 weeks from the fermentation ending to waiting on bottles to carbonate.

So basically it's the best way to do it but I need to save some money or not do it till tax season is what I'm getting out of this?

So basically it's the best way to do it but I need to save some money or not do it till tax season is what I'm getting out of this?

Sorry. Not trying to discourage you. There are $200-$300 pre-built kegerators. You'd just need to buy the CO2 tank and the used corny kegs ($50+$40) and you're good to go. but those only hole 1 or 2 kegs. I went the pricier route getting 4 kegs.

...I'd say to wait only because you can buy better equipment and you'll have an idea if you want 2 beers on tap or 4 by then or if you want to do kegging at all.

Good luck!

Oh and when you are ready to make the jump, it helps to make a post in the kegerator forum. Those guys are experts :)

adamjackson said:
Sorry. Not trying to discourage you. There are $200-$300 pre-built kegerators. You'd just need to buy the CO2 tank and the used corny kegs ($50+$40) and you're good to go. but those only hole 1 or 2 kegs. I went the pricier route getting 4 kegs.

...I'd say to wait only because you can buy better equipment and you'll have an idea if you want 2 beers on tap or 4 by then or if you want to do kegging at all.

Good luck!

Oh and when you are ready to make the jump, it helps to make a post in the kegerator forum. Those guys are experts :)

Oh you're not being discouraging. I was just praying there might be a considerably cheaper route haha. Mainly just bummed because I want to do a single growler of each batch with all of the details on the brew on a label for reference, and from what I'm seeing it's ill-advised to bottle carb in a growler.

Oh you're not being discouraging. I was just praying there might be a considerably cheaper route haha. Mainly just bummed because I want to do a single growler of each batch with all of the details on the brew on a label for reference, and from what I'm seeing it's ill-advised to bottle carb in a growler.

I keg all of my beers and fill growlers and bottles with a Blichmann beer gun. The setup works well but I went for what's the best best best solution in my budget which tended to be at the high end.

Swing-top 1 litre "growlers" are awesome and can be used for long term storage of beers and I fill them using the beer gun.

adamjackson said:
I keg all of my beers and fill growlers and bottles with a Blichmann beer gun. The setup works well but I went for what's the best best best solution in my budget which tended to be at the high end.

Swing-top 1 litre "growlers" are awesome and can be used for long term storage of beers and I fill them using the beer gun.

I just need to find a good thick wall growler to carbonate in. That's going to be the biggest issue for me starting out I think. I plan on keeping a very tight record of all of my batches, but I also want to label them as I bottle with a note on the overall beer, good or bad.

Vogtenstein, I just bought two of these 5 gal kegs from Midwest and a Co2 tank with dual gauge regulator, hoses, the picnic tap and connections from another vendor for $216 USD total, including shipping and everything. With this, I plan to fill a growler when I want to drink and put it in the kitchen freezer for about an hour and a half until it is cold enough... I figure this will get me by until I can afford to buy and convert a freezer. This might work for you also?

Whippy said:
Vogtenstein, I just bought two of these 5 gal kegs from Midwest and a Co2 tank with dual gauge regulator, hoses, the picnic tap and connections from another vendor for $216 USD total, including shipping and everything. With this, I plan to fill a growler when I want to drink and put it in the kitchen freezer for about an hour and a half until it is cold enough... I figure this will get me by until I can afford to buy and convert a freezer. This might work for you also?

That's a pretty awesome deal. I'm hoping to move to kegging in tax season if there's money left over from the rest of our plans.

I placed an order on the 2nd of January and it's still stuck at "Processing". I'm mega-impatient with shipping (esp. since I have to drive to NY to pick up, so it's a bit cumbersome if all my orders don't arrive on time), so I was hoping it would ship by today in order to arrive in NY by Thursday :|

How long do you guys typically wait between placing your order and having it shipped out? Northern Brewer was 2 business days, so I'm assuming it'll be the same from these guys

I placed an order on the 2nd of January and it's still stuck at "Processing". I'm mega-impatient with shipping (esp. since I have to drive to NY to pick up, so it's a bit cumbersome if all my orders don't arrive on time), so I was hoping it would ship by today in order to arrive in NY by Thursday :|

How long do you guys typically wait between placing your order and having it shipped out? Northern Brewer was 2 business days, so I'm assuming it'll be the same from these guys

It is. It showed "processing" for me for 3 days but I ordered my beginners kit on a Friday morning at 4 AM. I ended up getting it the following Tuesday but considering the weekend had practically started the day I ordered, I was happy. Just be patient. They don't seem to focus on updating the digital/online junk. They're more about actually getting your stuff packed and sent out. I was also VERY impressed with the packing. They don't skimp at all.

I wouldn't worry. It sometimes gets updated on the day you receive it. I wouldn't expect your order on the second to arrive to until the 7th. Usually when I order I try to order on a Sunday and will receive it by Wednesday. You are a little further away than I am though.

Cool, that works for me. If it's shipped today, I'd expect it at the border by Wednesday... which is a-ok.

Took me several days to convince my wife that I should get another brew-day on Jan 13th (newborn in the house, so free time is rare/precious), so I don't want to have to reschedule :p

I'm only 2 states away,so I get my stuff in a couple of days. Got it in 2 days once. Their Fed-Ex home delivery is fast & relatively cheap.

Back