Making the most of yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PenPen

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm looking to bring the cost of my batches down and one way I though I'd do this is spliting a white labs yeast into two, creating big starters for both, thus giving me the ability to make two batches with one vial of yeast. Possible? Advisable?

you can make gigenourmous starters...let them ferment out then bottle the hole thing

then just use one of the bottles to make a starter each time...

and when you get down to the last bottle just make another gigenourmous starter...

just label this one generation 2

as long as you keep things good and sanitary you could probubly go up to 4 or 5 generations....but this is kinda out of my ass...

anyway...haven't really tried it yet but I plan on doing this sometime

good luck!

you bet!!! and dont stop there save the yeast and pitch it over and over just learn to be cautious with your sanitation and your golden.. it will save you a boat load of coin
JJ

yeah thats another thing...

you can reuse your yeast cake a few times as well..

general rule of thumb is to go from light to dark beers

man...if you really tried you could really squeeze a tube of yeast out over a bunch of brews

I'm on my 3rd use of a single vial of WLP002 English Ale that I bought sometime last fall. It's working great, and I plan on saving it again from the batch presently fermenting.

Back