Loss of hop aroma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

savagedavid

Reaction score
I brewed a "Fruit Salad Ale" using a Coopers IPA kit + DME with a Cascade and Amirillo "hop tea" as well as additional dry hopping in secondary.

After the first week of bottling I tasted it and even though the hop bitterness was pretty extreme and the beer was still quite "green" the aroma from the hop additions was amazing.

Problem is now it's 3 weeks down the line. The beer has mellowed significantly, the hop bitterness is much more balanced, it is a very nice beer.

Except the beautiful fruity hop aroma has almost disappeared. It's still there but I really have to sniff deeply to get it.

Is this normal for hop aroma? Can I fix it next time by just adding even more hops?

Yes. IPAs are meant to be consumed quickly because hop oils will volitolize out of solution. That's why the Pliny the Elder label includes a warning that says:

"NOT A BARLEY WINE, DO NOT AGE! AGE YOUR CHEESE, NOT YOUR PLINY! RESPECT HOPS, CONSUME FRESH!"​

Three weeks is shorter than I would have expected to lose as much aroma as you describe, but it's in the ballpark if you were naturally carbonating.

Thanks, I like that quote. I think another problem is (not knowing any better), I left my hop sock floating on top instead of weighing it down, so likely lost out even more on hop oil infusion.

Back