late addition on an IPA question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelican521

Reaction score
Ok, so I just got back from my lbs and picked up a Racer 5 clone extract kit (woohoo!). Heard good things about it and since its not available in my state I thought id give it a go.

Here's my question, ive heard late extract addition helps in a variety of ways, inluding hop utilization and keeping your beer a lighter color. Both of which I would imagine would benefit an IPA. This kit came with both a bag of DME and LME. I was going to add one at the beginning of my boil and the other at 15 minutes before end of boil. Which one should I add first/last or does it matter?

Or, should I just add it all in the beginning like the kit calls for?

Thx

:mug:

Racer 5 is a very pale IPA so I would definitely do a late addition. I would add about a pound or two of your DME at the beginning, and all the rest of the extract at the end. Although there are a couple threads going on here now that discuss how you don't actually have to boil any of the extract to start. The brewing radio guys did an experiment that kind of debunked the theories that you don't get good bittering or that you end up with grassy off flavors. I've seen several brewers chime in that they have good experience boiling hops in just water.

BTW, Racer 5 is yummmm!
:mug:

There is no negative to late addition for an IPA. For a style where you want caramel like maillard reactions (think grilled meat vs. microwaved meat) then early addition is preferred.

Cool, thanks guys. Just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing.

Of course I asked my lbs guy what he thought about late additions and he said he never heard of it before...

Back