labels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kenmc said:
New version of the Abbey beer, from scratch. Like this more, whatchya all think??
Abbey_new.png

I love the depth effect.

2pugbrews said:
Read someplace to use milk!! My son is designing labels for me - the first samples I printed on 15 lb paper, brushed some plain milk on the label and stuck it on. Works. Easy to remove too.
Thats a great idea. must give it a go! I usually use a diluted PVA adhesive - polyband is the brand I use, I dunno if that's available everywhere though. Dilute it quite well with water, and it goes a long way. I used dip the whole label into it, but that was with black and white labels. Color labels run when I do that :( so I need to use a finger and paint the back of it a bit.

kenmc said:
New version of the Abbey beer, from scratch. Like this more, whatchya all think??
Abbey_new.png
I like it. My only suggestion: bolden the black portion of the text and tone down (reduce the thickness) of outlining of the text.

Here's one I made not sure If I'll bother but it is kind of fun making them

IPA%20lable.gif

yeah.. this is fun. good way to waste a half hour.

here's one I did today for a beer I haven't even finished the recip for. :D

gruagach_80.jpg

(thanks to kenmc for reminding me how to bend the text in gimp.)

-walker

Damn, that's good ! Reminds me of a cross between the Procter and Gamble logo and the pictures on an old ouija board. Here I am with a roll of masking tape and a sharpie marker. Thought I was doing good to remember what was in the bottle. Did you pull that image from somewhere or create it yourself ?

Nice work Walker. Who's the old hag you used in the picture though :)
Hey maybe we can get this thread made sticky where we can post up all the labels. I like looking at other peoples.
Waldos is real nice too, the elephant looks very 3 dimensional

I found the image of the hag on the web, after some research.

I originally was just looking for a NAME for the beer.

My scottish ale will have a bit of a smokey flavor to it, so I started searching for Scottish lore and mythology. After finding a place that had descriptions of fairies, gods, and goddesses I noticed that many of them were associated with one of the four ancient elements (earth, wind, water, fire.)

Since I have the smokey thing planned, I looked for those figures associated with fire. The Gruagach was one that I found. She is a fairy, hideous in apperance, but kind to those who do not judge her by her looks. She is drawn to campfires.

So.. Gruagach was the name I selected.

Then I went to Google, and did and Image Search for "Gruagach". This was one of the pictures that popped up, and I thought it was perfect.

thanks for the compliments on the label. this one is my favorite creation so far.

-walker

you can make them any size you want. I usually build my labels AROUND the central image that I chose, and so that dictates the final size of my label. mine always end up different sizes.

-walker

I generally aim for about 7cm wide by around 10 cm high give or take. you can always scale them, but text doesn't really scale too well unfortunately.

billybrew said:
What size do you make your labels?

I use Publisher & select Avery 5164 labels. That gives me a 3 1/4" x 4" label that I print on regular paper, cut out & glue stick to the bottles.
My Pumpkin Patch Ale is really nice. As soon as I can figure out how to post images, I will. :confused:

Latest posts

Back