Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMOKEU

Reaction score
I've made a few batches of beer so far, but I'm sick of waiting several months for my beer to condition in bottles. I've heard that that it only takes a week to properly condition beer when it's put into a keg, and I've been thinking of buying a 19L keg, CO2 bottle, regulator and tap so I can have my own beer on tap at home. What is the easiest and cheapest way of building up a half decent keg setup? I've had a look at homebrew shops but they all charge an arm and a leg for such a setup, so I'd rather build one myself. I don't care if it doesn't look good, as long as it works fine without any leaks I'll be happy.

Several months to condition? It should be taking three weeks of conditioning before carbonation is adequate, not several months. Keep in mind that even with a kegging system, your beer will still have a green or yeasty taste to it until it's several weeks old.

Also, nice 5th element reference in your username!

Personally, I've seen the same time needed for keg or bottle conditioning/carbing. But then I haven't tried any force carbing, would think the beer would still be green for the same amount of time?

If beer needs time to condition, it will not condition any faster in a keg. There are only 3 things that happen faster with a keg.

1: Carbonation
2: filling
3: emptying

agreed, conditioning takes the same amount of time regardless of location.

however, for beers like hefes, certain belgian wit recipes, and possibly even a quick turnaround blond/cream ale, a keg is convenient insofar as you don't have to wait 3 weeks for it to carb up.

I am at pretty much exactly the same stage as the original poster--fairly new to homebrewing and interested in setting up a kegging system.

A local place has complete draught systems (minus the kegs) on sale right now for $250. You get a C02 tank (presumably 5 lbs), dual gauge regulator, hoses, picnic tap, fittings, etc.

I think I am going to build my own system instead. I can get a 20 lb C02 tank locally for $125 (comes filled), I bought two used corny kegs the other night, and the hoses and fittings are not that hard to get apparently. So the last major thing I need is a regulator. Looks like you can grab dual-gauge fairly cheap off Ebay. But what I want is a double regulator that will allow me to have different pressures to two kegs (allowing me to carb one batch up slowly while dispensing the other or to have different carb levels in different batches which can enhance quality in some cases). So far the cheapest double regulator I've found is at a place in Minneapolis for $100.

Does anyone think this will be the wrong way to go on a system (I'll keep everything refrigerated and build a kegerator eventually)? Or does anyone know of a cheaper place to get a double regulator?

You will be able to carbonate it faster with a keg, but all you will have is carbonated green beer. Conditioning still takes time. Patience grasshopper :rockin:

however, for beers like hefes, certain belgian wit recipes, and possibly even a quick turnaround blond/cream ale, a keg is convenient insofar as you don't have to wait 3 weeks for it to carb up.

+1 to that!

Every wit I've done has been best right after force carbing and goes downhill after a few weeks. Drink fast! :rockin:

Back