Keg recommendations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theHoll

Reaction score
So I just bottled my fourth batch and I'm already sick of bottles. I've heard and read the pros of kegging so I'm starting to consider it. My husband has even started looking at some keggerators online.

However, before investing money and space (small house, pretty full garage) I wanted to see if it is worth it.

Also, a couple of brewing friends of mine have made it even more tempting. They ferment in their bottling bucket and transfer to keg out of the spigot since the yeast bed usually sits just below. Fewer steps, fewer chances if contamination.

So! Are there seasoned brewers out there that still bottle? Anyone against kegging? For the average noob ish girl is it worth it?

Bottling has its place for conditioned brews, and beers that will be aged, but kegging is much simpler, and less labor intensive. Until you have to clean the keg, but then you only have to do one or two depending on how much you brew, rather than 50+ bottles.

Larger upfront investment, but well worth it in my opinion.

Having said that I just recently bottled my first batch in over a year. Twenty-six 22oz bottles of an oaked stout. The lesser number of 22's opposed to 12 oz bottles makes a world of difference too!

i do both. but yes, kegging it totally worth it. i have a two tap kegerator and am planning a 4-6 tap keezer in the near future, so then i'll only bottle beers worth aging in bottles.

as far as kegerators, instead of buying a new pre made one for a lot of money, i suggest a used fridge or chest freezer. you can get them real cheap and sometimes free. that way you can spend the $ on good taps, shanks and a good regulator. the build is quite easy and requires a drill, a screwdriver and a wrench. it took me less than an hour to turn a $30 fridge into a two tapper. there's tons of 'how to' info in the DIY forums here on HBT.

but back to the fun stuff, kegging beer is great. first off, its far easier than bottling. just rack and purge and you're set. second, you can drink your beer a lot sooner. like less than a week from kegging, less than a day if you 'blast' carb by shaking the keg. third, draft beer is great, draft beer in the comfort of your own home is ever more great! i'd say of all the brewing related items i've bought, made or otherwise acquired, the kegging setup is my favorite.

I certainly wouldn't brew nearly as much as I do if I were still bottling. Aside from the initial cost, I can't see why anyone would be against it.

I haven't bottled since I bought my keg system. The initial cost is the only turnoff. I will never go back to bottling full batches. I might buy an adapter to bottle right from the keg, but that will be the extent of bottling for me. I absolutely hated bottling.

Back