Just starting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Srm277

Reaction score
I am just starting to get into brewing my own beer. I have been looking up as much information as I can about it before I go out and start spending money. I would like to purchase a kit since everything normally comes with it, but I dont know of any good ones to start out with. I know about the Mr beer 2 gallon kit, but im the type of person that would rather get the 5 gallon kits with all the extra fun stuff. I have not found any places near where I live to purchase a good kit. Any ideas where I could find a kit for a good price and what kits are good for a first timer thats alright with getting something alittle bit bigger? The 5 gallon kits look to me as a lot more fun drinking my own stuff then the 2 gallon ones. Thanks. And more stuff that the kit comes with the better, like bottle caper, siphons and so on.

A basic startup kit will have everything you need to get started, but over time you will buy more stuff to make it easier.

My kit included:
1 fermenting bucket w/ lid
1 bottling bucket
1 hydrometer (very very important)
1 siphon hose
1 siphon stoper thing, haven't figured out how it works tho
1 bottling wand (i have yet to use, guess it is more for wine)
1 Airlock
1 bottle capper
1 stick on aquarium thermometer
1 "How to Brew" book
1 container of sanitizing solution (forgot what kind, was no rinse)
Hours and Hours of enjoyment

Cost - $60

I think this is the basic kit but you will also need bottles, floating thermometer, bottle caps, and more solution.

The ingredients kit runs anywhere from $30-70, depending on the beer.

Northern Brewer seems to be the best. A lot of HBT people like them.

If you think your going to make more than two batchs, go with full 5 gallon kit, Mr. Beer is OK to start with, just not what I would call great....
You should be able find some good deals out there for a basic kit, as you get addicted you can always buy what you want later.

I have had great luck getting brew equipment on craigslist.

Midwest man is the best place to get a starter kit... Very good price and everything you need!!! DO NOT ORDER FROM ANYWHERE ELSE..... Best Price around!!!

:rockin:
I am just starting to get into brewing my own beer. I have been looking up as much information as I can about it before I go out and start spending money. I would like to purchase a kit since everything normally comes with it, but I dont know of any good ones to start out with. I know about the Mr beer 2 gallon kit, but im the type of person that would rather get the 5 gallon kits with all the extra fun stuff. I have not found any places near where I live to purchase a good kit. Any ideas where I could find a kit for a good price and what kits are good for a first timer thats alright with getting something alittle bit bigger? The 5 gallon kits look to me as a lot more fun drinking my own stuff then the 2 gallon ones. Thanks. And more stuff that the kit comes with the better, like bottle caper, siphons and so on.

GO TO BREWITYOURSELF.CO.UK, THEY HAVE A LAGER STARTER KIT FOR 19.99 WITH THE 25 GALLON FERMENTING BUCKET, PADDLE , SIEFON, AND STERILIZER, HYDROMETRE AND STUFF, AND ANOTHER SITE FOR CHEAPER COOPERS AND MUNTONS BEER KITS IS INN HOUSE BREWERY, CHEAPER BREWING SUGAR AND COOPERS TINS, AND THEY HAVE CARBONATION DROPS FOR WHEN YOU BOTTLE IT, ITS WHAT IM GOING TO DO, IVE DID ALLOT OF RESEARCH TO FIND THE CHEAPEST KITS AND ACCESORIES. PLUS IM SAVING UP 500ML COKE BOTTLES TO BOTTLE IT WHEN IM DONE FERMENTING, I JUST USE BABY'S BOTTLE STERILIZER , DOES THE TRICK.

NOT TIGHT , BUT CONVENIENT.

:rockin:

GO TO BREWITYOURSELF.CO.UK, THEY HAVE A LAGER STARTER KIT FOR 19.99 WITH THE 25 GALLON FERMENTING BUCKET, PADDLE , SIEFON, AND STERILIZER, HYDROMETRE AND STUFF, AND ANOTHER SITE FOR CHEAPER COOPERS AND MUNTONS BEER KITS IS INN HOUSE BREWERY, CHEAPER BREWING SUGAR AND COOPERS TINS, AND THEY HAVE CARBONATION DROPS FOR WHEN YOU BOTTLE IT, ITS WHAT IM GOING TO DO, IVE DID ALLOT OF RESEARCH TO FIND THE CHEAPEST KITS AND ACCESORIES. PLUS IM SAVING UP 500ML COKE BOTTLES TO BOTTLE IT WHEN IM DONE FERMENTING, I JUST USE BABY'S BOTTLE STERILIZER , DOES THE TRICK.

NOT TIGHT , BUT CONVENIENT.

I just went to the site there isn't anything under brew equipment starter kits. You must be talking about a lager kit as in ingredients. IMO no one should ever do a lager as their first homebrew you will go crazy waiting for the fermentation to end and that is if you can keep the brew at cool enough temps. Go with a nice fast fermenting Hef or something that will be drinkable as soon as possible, trust me you will be trying to drink the brew before its ready no matter how fast the process goes. We all did.

Oh and hit the caps lock button before you start next time. ;)

Back