Just did my first starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h22lude

Reaction score
I used 6 cups of water and 5 ounces of DME. I think I poured a little more than 5 ounces because the OG was a little higher than I wanted but I think that will be ok.

My question is, I used a growler so I can't really see inside it...how do I know the yeast did their thing?

if you fed the yeast DME and you started the whole process sanitary and under 90F, they did their thing.

they were probably glad you couldn't see them...there was quite the orgy going on....
me, I like to watch...

^ lol

Shine a flashlight opposite the side you are looking in, should work. Also you should cover the top with aluminum foil it will have some give and if it is doing its job should puff out the foil if it is tightly over it.

Congrats on your first starter... Now learn to wash yeast... simple and very cost effective!!

I have tinfoil on top and it hasnt moved much. I did look down the neck of the growler and I could see what look to be bubbles. I can only assume that is a sign of the yeast going

Latest posts

Back