IPA Extract didn't hit target FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daver77

Reaction score
I racked an IPA that it's OG was 1.067 to a better bottle to dry hop and I decided to see where it was at right now.

It's at 1.021 and the target according to mashpro was supposed to be 1.017

I think maybe I can attribute this to the fact I didn't make a yeast starter being that it was my second brew and all. (Everything I have brewed after that was with a starter.

As long as it taste good I good to go, but any thoughts on this?

4 points isn't a huge amount to be off by (FG is always an estimate of course), but not making a starter would certainly be a reason for higher than expected residual sugars. How's it taste?

4 points isn't a huge amount to be off by (FG is always an estimate of course), but not making a starter would certainly be a reason for higher than expected residual sugars. How's it taste?

I just tasted it...

A little on the malty side (sweet) 69.7 IBU so I guess that's about right. There is a slight bitterness on the tip of the tongue. Aromatic, the hops did it's job.
The alcohol it a little up front (maybe because it's a 6.1 ABV)?

Here is the recipe. It was a recipe that I had to prepare on the spot using "how to brew" as a reference since the shop I went to we out of stock on everthing I had originally came in for. They didn't even have the yeast I wanted.

45% 4lb Alexander's Pale Extract
34% 3lb Muntons Amber DME
11% 1lb Muntons Light Dry Malt Extract
10% 14oz Weyermann CaraHell

boil 60 mins 1oz Nugget pellet 13.0
boil 15 mins 2oz East Kent Goldings pellet 5.0
boil 5 mins 1oz East Kent Goldings pellet 5.0
dry hop 5days .25oz Cascade pellet 6.0
dry hop 5 days .75oz Centennial pellet 9.0

WLP022 Essex Ale Yeast

I really don't know what the heck I'm doing but still learning.

Almost taste more like an amber than an IPA right now. We'll see!

Welcome to the obsession! :mug:

67% attenuation ( (67 - 21) / 67 ) is a touch lower than you'd usually want perhaps, but still very much in the realm of tasty beer. It will be a little sweeter for it, but still delicious I'm sure.

Welcome to the obsession! :mug:

67% attenuation ( (67 - 21) / 67 ) is a touch lower than you'd usually want perhaps, but still very much in the realm of tasty beer. It will be a little sweeter for it, but still delicious I'm sure.

Yeah so lesson learned here, always make a starter and use Mr. MAlty!

it's quite good but I'll have to brew another one to see what it would taste like with 75-80% attenuation?

Thanks!

WLP022 is a lower attenuating yeast to begin with. Temperature control is also important. Some yeast like having the temperature raised to the top of the recommended zone to eek out those last few points.

And oxygenation. If you just pitched a tube, oxygenation is going to be even more important to get the cell numbers up.

WLP022 is a lower attenuating yeast to begin with. Temperature control is also important. Some yeast like having the temperature raised to the top of the recommended zone to eek out those last few points.

And oxygenation. If you just pitched a tube, oxygenation is going to be even more important to get the cell numbers up.

supposed to be 73% according to their website.

I'll try it again, worst case scenario I might learn something:D

WLP022 is a lower attenuating yeast to begin with.

Spec is 71 - 76%.

My experience is an average of 83% over 7 batches with that yeast. I would say it was one of the higher attenuating British yeasts. I have found it to be a slow worker, and can take 2 weeks (or more) at controlled temperatures to finish.

If a starter was not used, it could just be working slowly. Don't rush it, give it more time.

Great yeast by the way.

Latest posts

Back