I have beer!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GibbyGibson

Reaction score
I've got my first batch of beer, a basic extract British brown ale, and Its been 11 days in the primary. I'm getting anxious and impatient so I decided to check the gravity a bit early. OG was 1.048 at 80 degrees, or 1.051 for temp correction. I jumped the gun and pitched Danstar Windsor yeast a little early due to time constraints when brewing. Temp was 80 degrees. Also, I am not positive I was aggressive enough when trying to oxygenate the wort prior to pitching. Quick fermentation within 8 hours. Room temp 68-70 degrees and temp gauge on the outside of my bucket said 73 (assuming warmer in the middle but didn't check). I've consistently kept the room 68-70 since.

I just checked my gravity and it says 1.018. From what I've seen from several posts, Windsor yeast tends to drop off a bit early. Based on the other factors above, what do you think the chances are that my beer hasn't stalled? I am going to recheck my gravity in a few days to make sure fermentation is done. What have other users seen with Windsor? Also, in the future, should I switch out for a different yeast strain (assuming I aerate enough and pitch at a better temperature)? If so, which one? Being my first, I have nothing to compare to.

Thanks for the wisdom.

P.s. I tried the sample and I'm getting pretty damn excited. It's flat and a bit sweet but still good.

First - congratulations on your first brew. Now take a deep breath, relax and then give yourself a high five. You deserve it.

Next - does your recipe (kit or otherwise) list what the final gravity should be? I've not used Windsor, but it's possible it's slowing down. The yeast know what to do - it's their job in life. If you can (trust me, I know how anxious you are, I've been just as anxious) give them another week. Don't check in between, just wait.

As for your aeration, while it is important to get the wort oxygenated it's hardly going to ruin your beer. I'm pretty sure my first few I didn't aerate at all. The fact you were fermenting in 8-hours is good. It didn't lag and that's what is important.

Now something else that's important - temperature. Pitching at 80 isn't good - it's 10 degrees over the the maximum temp. Obviously you didn't kill your yeast but they might have imparted some fruity esters. When I can't get my wort down to temp, I'll seal up the bucket or carboy put it in the corner and give it a few hours. I've even pitched yeast the next morning.

All in all - your first beer is going to the most memorable one you make and I'm sure it's going to be delicious.

Agreed, congrats on the first batch. I have a terrible wort chiller and usually have a lot of trouble getting it much below 80 after brewing. I have come to accept that and go ahead and pitch, but I do have a fairly efficient swamp cooler setup that drops the temp pretty fast. 70 is the recommended max for that yeast and is likely better suited to the mid 60s. Most of the time it seems that yeast enjoy the warmer temperatures and do their work faster, but can shoot off some off flavors in the process. You were likely right on that borderline.

I'd be interested as well to know the expected FG. 11 days I would have thought it should have finished to that level and maybe need a bit longer to clean up. If you were shooting for 1.015, you may be as good as you'll get. If you're supposed to be closer to 1.012, you may have stalled a little. You can try to gently rock the bucket to rouse the yeast, but I'd give it at least a couple of days and maybe check the gravity again and see if it was still dropping on its own.

Windsor yeast attenuates lower than most common yeasts so you should expect a little sweetness to the finished brew. That said, I haven't used one in a brew myself (although I've tasted beer that used it and it was absolutely fantastic). I have some Windsor in the fridge for one of my next brews.

I'd say that it's still a little high. +1 on gentle agitation of the fermentor. Leave it another week or so, and then it should be good to bottle (check of course).

Congrats! Welcome to the hobby.

With a 1.048 OG,I'd ecpect an FG of 1.010-1.012. That 1.018 is def too high. Give it a week to see if it finishes up.

This may be a stupid question but what about reintroducing the yeast that was kicked to the side of the bucket when the krausen peaked? I've got a ton of it on the sides mixed with other trub. If I used a sanitized spoon to knock it back in, would that not assist? I'm assuming the attenuation of the yeast strain would still limit it's ability to ferment further. I jdidnt know if anyone else has tried this or not.

CCericola said:
First - congratulations on your first brew. Now take a deep breath, relax and then give yourself a high five. You deserve it. Next - does your recipe (kit or otherwise) list what the final gravity should be? I've not used Windsor, but it's possible it's slowing down. The yeast know what to do - it's their job in life. If you can (trust me, I know how anxious you are, I've been just as anxious) give them another week. Don't check in between, just wait. As for your aeration, while it is important to get the wort oxygenated it's hardly going to ruin your beer. I'm pretty sure my first few I didn't aerate at all. The fact you were fermenting in 8-hours is good. It didn't lag and that's what is important. Now something else that's important - temperature. Pitching at 80 isn't good - it's 10 degrees over the the maximum temp. Obviously you didn't kill your yeast but they might have imparted some fruity esters. When I can't get my wort down to temp, I'll seal up the bucket or carboy put it in the corner and give it a few hours. I've even pitched yeast the next morning. All in all - your first beer is going to the most memorable one you make and I'm sure it's going to be delicious.
sorry, there is not a FG to go with the recipe. Here's the breakdown of the ingredients.

3.3 lbs muntons dark LME, 3.3 lbs muntons amber LME, 1 oz of 8.9% alpha Challenger hops, 8oz raw cane sugar, 1tsp Irish moss, 1tsp yeast nutrient, 0.5 oz east Kent Golding, and 1 pack of dry Danstar Windsor Yeast.

Challenger starts the 60 minute boil. Sugar, moss, nutrient, and Amber LME added with 15 remaining. Golding added at end of boil.

Wasn't sure if there was a way to calculate expected FG or if brown ales have a specific FG range to be considered a brown ale.

Back