New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How to make a yeast starter - Pictorial

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 06:30 AM   #341
davebstock
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Vert helpful post. Doing my first all grain soon.

1 Timothy 5:23

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #342
Leppy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for this. The next recipe I am looking at calls for a starter and i wasn't really sure how to do it.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:25 PM   #343
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogri View Post
Dry yeast is packaged and ready to use in peak condition so if you make a starter with it you just end up depleting the yeast's reserves and actually decrease the ability of the yeast to go to work with optimum capabilities on the wort. Rehydrating is the best way to get the most from your package of dry yeast.

Boil some water then let cool down to 95-105*f, into 1 cupful pour the contents of your packet and let it sit on the surface. It'll gradually start dropping to the bottom and eventually start foaming/turning creamy. You can give it a bit of a stir now to make the slurry a nice, even, viscosity. Ideally you want to get the rehydrated yeast slurry and your wort to a temp difference of less than 10*f of each other for pitching, so as not to shock the yeast, and some say that absolute optimum for pitching is within 40 minutes of beginning rehydration, although I've also seen 15 minutes mentioned.

It's possible to get decent results by just sprinkling dry yeast on the surface of your wort but something like a 40% to 60% depletion of the yeast, from instant exposure to the sugars, can result.
I've made a few starters from dry yeast. Sprinkling it into starter wort isn't much different from sprinkling it into a fermenter...it's sugar water for it to multiply and ferment. I would rehydrate it first, yes.

The reason I do this is so I can just buy one packet of US-05 and still use it on 9g of beer. It's worked fantastically for me, using the various calculators to determine the proper starter size, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 02-07-2013, 02:51 AM   #344
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
I've made a few starters from dry yeast. Sprinkling it into starter wort isn't much different from sprinkling it into a fermenter...it's sugar water for it to multiply and ferment. I would rehydrate it first, yes.

The reason I do this is so I can just buy one packet of US-05 and still use it on 9g of beer. It's worked fantastically for me, using the various calculators to determine the proper starter size, of course.
Yeah, I was definitely guilty there of regurgitating what I'd read, believed and taken as gospel regarding dry yeast, here on HBT

What you say there makes sense, right enough. Rehydrate then pitch into your starter wort. If properly rehydrated first they can be introduced into the starter wort without any worries about further depletion from sugar shock (or whatever it is that depletes their viability when pitched powder to wort)and healthy propagation should begin pretty rapidly. Will give it a bash on an upcoming batch.

Wonder if it'd be possible to do that with S-23 or W34/70 to make an effective starter for a lager. They're always quite a bit more expensive than US-05 and S-04 here and when I look at a yeast calculator like Mr malty they usually show that I need about 2 packs.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:06 PM   #345
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogri View Post
Yeah, I was definitely guilty there of regurgitating what I'd read, believed and taken as gospel regarding dry yeast, here on HBT

What you say there makes sense, right enough. Rehydrate then pitch into your starter wort. If properly rehydrated first they can be introduced into the starter wort without any worries about further depletion from sugar shock (or whatever it is that depletes their viability when pitched powder to wort)and healthy propagation should begin pretty rapidly. Will give it a bash on an upcoming batch.

Wonder if it'd be possible to do that with S-23 or W34/70 to make an effective starter for a lager. They're always quite a bit more expensive than US-05 and S-04 here and when I look at a yeast calculator like Mr malty they usually show that I need about 2 packs.
There's no reason why you can't. Once you rehydrate it, it's just like liquid yeast. I've had no issues thus-far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 02-08-2013, 01:13 AM   #346
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
There's no reason why you can't. Once you rehydrate it, it's just like liquid yeast. I've had no issues thus-far.
Yes, exactly. In fact, now that I think about it, could it possibly be even better than using liquid yeast purchased through the usual channels, in terms of viability (and definitely in terms of volume), unless you are able to get hold of a pack/vial of LY that was made something like 20 minutes ago?

Old 02-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #347
perrypainter
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

H big a role does headspace play in a starter? I've always just boiled 1/4-1/2 c dme in 2 cups water for 15 mins and threw it in a sanitized 2L growler. Is that too big of a vessel? Should I use a 1L growler?

Old 02-26-2013, 05:41 PM   #348
jethro55
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Here is an article from one of HBT's experts about yeast starters and yeast harvesting. I really thought it made a lot of sense.

yeast-harvesting-novel-approach

Hat's off to the Brulosopher !

Civilization begins with Beer !

Primary: nothing in the pipeline at the moment
Secondary: some summer beers are imperative
Bottled: Nut Brown, Listermann's Cream Ale, American Pale Ale, Holiday Ale, HopNog, Honey Malt Cream Ale, Irish Stout, English Brown Ale, BIAB English Ale, India Black Ale, Bengal Juice, BIAB Cherry Wheat on the cherries, Belgian Pale Ale, Island Hefe on Mango, Island Hefe on Apricot (and dang -these are awesome beers)

Next Up: Hop farming

Old 03-24-2013, 05:27 AM   #349
tg123
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 32

i made a starter and then couldn't get around to brewing so I put it in the fridge for 4 days. Is it still ok and should I make another starter to wake up the yeast? Also, there seems to be a green ring around the growler where the krausen was forming.
smelled it and it smells fine.

Bottled: Irish Red Ale, Left Coast Pale Ale, JAOM, Apfelwein, Centennial Blonde
Kegged: Centennial Strawberry Blonde
Primary: Vacant
Secondary: Vacant

Old 03-24-2013, 08:00 AM   #350
Bierliebhaber
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg123 View Post
i made a starter and then couldn't get around to brewing so I put it in the fridge for 4 days. Is it still ok and should I make another starter to wake up the yeast? Also, there seems to be a green ring around the growler where the krausen was forming.
smelled it and it smells fine.
You're good. Just pitch it as is.

Quick Reply