How to get a good start to my autosiphon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckinWA

Reaction score
I love the simplicity of the autosiphon, but I can't seem to get a good start on it. I draw it full stroke, but it seems to get about a half a column of air. When I push it down, this air transfers to the line and takes a long time to finally work its way out, during which time there are tons of bubbles being transfered and I'm guessing it's aerating the hell out of my beer. Multiple strokes don't fix this problem. By the time half of my beer is racked, the entire line is finally void of air and it's transfering nicely. How can I get this result from the start? Holding it lower in the fermenter? Lubricating the gasket with something so I don't draw air in the beginning? Some other trick? Thanks!

Are you pushing your tubing far enough onto the cane? I've noticed that I will get a fair ammount of bubbles if I don't. Your tubing could be too large and not making a good seal as well. Once you have it submerged try shaking it a bit but not enough to shake up yeast or trub on the bottom of what you are racking from. You could try some keg lube on the gasket as well.

I stick mine near the bottom of the carboy. I also make sure the tubing connected to the end of the autosiphon is connected snugly. I pump it 3-4 times and it immediately runs smoothly. I guess try holding it lower in the fermenter. Adding some lube, such as keg lube, may help as well.

Your bottom bucket needs to be lower. Remember, the autosiphon starts the process but it's gravity that does the work.

To fully re-saturate the hose with liquid: while it is still sighoning, grab the flexible hose part 6" from the end of the hard plastic top part, then gently raise the flexible hose 1" higher than the hard plastic part, then quickly let go of the flexible hose, quickly repeat a few times. The siphon process will slow when you raise the hose but when you release the hose again it recharges the siphon. Do not raise the hose too high or you will stop the siphon, its more of a helpful nudge your giving it. Learned this sanity saving process years ago with the manual racking cane and hose but it works just as well with the autosiphon.

Agree with others to start the autosiphon takes a few quick, firm pumps, keep pumping until you have a full siphon going. It never starts siphoning for me with just one big pump.

FYI, upgraded to the 1/2" auto siphon and it is twice as fast as the old 3/8" auto siphon.

I start with the siphone half way up the tube before putting the end into whatever. I put in into the liquid, give it a couple of seconds to get something into the tube and then push down. I usually get a good siphone going with only 4 inches of push, and don't have to pump. I might get a few bubbles, but they go away in the first 30 seconds.

I find if my bottle filler valve is pushed in at the other end, or even just leaking slightly I will get it sucking in from both ends. This could be causing your half air half beer.

The trick is pinch the hose right where the hose meets the autosyphon. This makes the bubble move down the hose. If you keep getting a lot of bubbles you need to try thick wall 3/8 hose. The regular hose is too flexible and it causes bubbles.

Forrest

I like 5/16" ID tubing on the 3/8" A/S because you don't need a clamp and get zero air leaks. Also, if your tube to tube gasket leaks, you should take the inner cane out of the larger tube during storage. Run it under some hot water just before using.

I also use 3/8" ID tubing on the 1/2" A/S. Frankly, 1/2" tubing flows just a little too fast for my taste.

I'm having a ton pf problems with a new autosiphon with getting a good seal. I'm not sure if it is the hose or the siphon but I can not get ANY vacuum at all.

Last autosiphon was a no brainer but my new one totally sucks!!

I start with the siphone half way up the tube before putting the end into whatever. I put in into the liquid, give it a couple of seconds to get something into the tube and then push down. I usually get a good siphone going with only 4 inches of push, and don't have to pump. I might get a few bubbles, but they go away in the first 30 seconds.

That method has worked very well for me, too. Start with the inner siphon part extended, stick the contraption into the liquid (at least halfway) and wait for it to fill. Then one decisive push down will get clean, bubble-free siphon going.

Thanks gents. From your responses, it sounds like my problem is the initial "draw". Namely, if there's air below the gasket, I'll get a crappy siphon. It makes sense now that i think about it. My connections are solid and air-free, I think. I'll take your collective advice, and try for a better run next time. Thanks again!

You can use smaller hose like 5/16 and then it is virtually impossible to remove. I recommend the thick wall 3/8 because it solves the problem and you still can remove the hose.

I would practice on some water so you get the problem solved without beer involved.

Forrest

Back