How to differentiate aroma and bitter hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daverust

Reaction score
Hello, total newb here, I tried to search about this question but I couldn't find it (Is kinda specific) anyway, I just received my ingredients kit from a custom shop in Arizona, all good with the ingredients, but the issue here is idk what hops are the aromatic and the bitter ones, the package is exactly the same, I tried to looks at one number but there's nothing. So, how can I differentiate the aromatic from the bitter? O it doesn't matter in this case?

Hops are Willamette, 1oz each pack, photo below. Does anyone here had similar issue before? :(

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y15adx9xggrf51k/WP_20140421_001.jpg

Thanks in advance

Just a wild guess here, but I would say that the Willamette are the bittering hops, while the Willamette are the aroma.

Could be the other way around though.

Cheers!

I'm new at this too, but from what I know so far, bittering hops are just those added earlier in the boil, while aroma hops are added much later - almost the end. So the specific type of hops isn't what makes them bittering or aromatic, just the timing when used.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Guinness is correct, bittering hops are designated by boiling earlier in the process, while aroma hops are added towards the end of the boil, regardless of the hop variety.

Thanks for the quick reply, yup, I understand the timing for the hops (bitter, earlier, and aroma at the end), but I thought the hops for this purposes would have different composition between them.

So in this case, it doesn't matter if I add whatever package first right? Because they are exactly the same

Edit. This is the list of my ingredients:

Ingredients
6 lbs. Amber Dry Malt Extract 1 Grain Steeping Bag
.50 lb. 40 L Crystal Malt (Grain) 1 Hop Bag
.25 lb. Carapils (Grains)
.50 lb. 90L Crystal Malt(Grain)
1 oz. Willamette Hops (Bitter)
1 oz Willamette Hops (Flavor)
5 oz Priming Sugar
1 pk Brewers Yeast

Thx.

Since you're using the same hop for both purpose, it doesn't matter what one you use. It's all about the time and utilization. Longer boil time = bitter. Less boil time = aroma/flavor

Edit: accidentally hit submit instead of cancel. The above poster is correct.

Sent from my spaceship in low orbit.

Oh, gotcha. All good then, new thing learnt today. Thanks everyone! :)

Cool. Just keep in mind that GENERALLY a lower AA hop is used for aroma/flavor while a higher AA hop is used for bittering. But if you get less utilization from a higher AA hop, you get the aroma/flavor and not the bitterness.

So there is more than just time to consider.

Correct. It's not just the matter of timing. but generally high AA% are used for bittering & lower AA% are used for flavor/aroma. But you can also mix them up,depending on how much bittering you want & what flavors/aromas.

Hops are hops. Any of them can be used for any purpose.

You can use any hop at any point in the boil. Sometimes they are labeled for a purpose, like bittering, but that's really not accurate as all hops will provide bittering when boiled. And all have flavor and aroma. It's just that some hops are more commonly used for one or the other, due to some of their characteristics.

As you have an all-willamette hop beer, I've made many single hop variety beers, like an all-cascade beer, or an all-hallertauer beer, and those are great.

You don't have to worry about "types" of hops as they really are not single purpose.

But you do have to keep in mind the Alpha Acid percentage. The higher the percentage,the more small amount of bittering it can add at lower times. BS2 seems to reflect this as well.

But you do have to keep in mind the Alpha Acid percentage. The higher the percentage,the more small amount of bittering it can add at lower times. BS2 seems to reflect this as well.

Well she's techniqually right though because you can use any hop for any purpose.

But just because you can, doesn't mean it's smart or good practice.

The cost of using a low AA hop for bitterness doesn't make sense... 1/2 oz high AA vs 2 oz low AA makes a big difference in cost.

Yeah,that's been my experience up to this point. Some medium AA% hops can bridge the gap for a softer bittering though. But I've been liking warrior for bittering lately,about .3oz does it.

Guinness is correct, bittering hops are designated by boiling earlier in the process, while aroma hops are added towards the end of the boil, regardless of the hop variety.

Guiness is partly correct. As a general rule the buttering hops do go I early & the aroma hops later, BUT, some hop varieties lend themselves more to use for buttering, usually higher AA% while others are better used for aroma. Some varieties can be used for both.
The book "Hops" is an excellent resource & there are many charts detailing the various hops and their uses.

Not to hijack but on the same lines does anyone know of any kind of list of what the particular characteristics of different hops are? As some have a piney scent while others are citrus.

When you open some of the different ones up and take a sniff, you will know why they use which hop for what part of the process.

Not to hijack but on the same lines does anyone know of any kind of list of what the particular characteristics of different hops are? As some have a piney scent while others are citrus.

One of my favorite resources, believe it or not, is the Northern Brewer catalogue. From time to time, they have an entire list of all hops, their flavor qualities, where they are grown, and the approximate alpha acids of each. It's great! (They have those for grain too). That really helps decide on what to use in a brew.

Otherwise, I like this list for US hops: http://www.usahops.org/graphics/File/HGA BCI Reports/Variety Manual 7-24-12.pdf

Ok this is what I was asking about. It really sucks when you get older and can't remember exactly which hops give off which flavors. I know you can use any hop at any time.

https://byo.com/resources/hops

PS Something like this and a yeast chart would make a great sticky. Maybe even one on malts, just for us demented or is it dementia:D

Thanks for the awesome replies and great resources! I'll try to add more hops at first, I've been reading my ingredients could have a little more extra punch.

As a general rule the buttering hops do go I early & the aroma hops later, BUT, some hop varieties lend themselves more to use for buttering, usually higher AA% while others are better used for aroma. Some varieties can be used for both.

Buttering hops.... is that where my diacetyl off flavors come from? :p

Damn you, auto-correct....

Back