Honey Kolsch Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onipar

Reaction score
I brewed a Honey Kolsch extract brew from Northern Brewer yesterday, and I noticed it calls for a 2-4 week secondary.

Should I secondary it, or is it better to just leave it in primary for the specified time?

Generally speaking, I tend to avoid a secondary whenever possible. But at the same time, I'm completely unfamiliar with the Kolsch style, and whether or not the secondary is actually required in this case.

When I purchased the kit, I opted to use the dry yeast alternative, which is US-05. (I used some yeast slurry from a cream ale I bottled the same day).

Nothing extra is going into the beer at this point. The honey went in at flame out.

So anyway, secondary or no?

I made this kit a while back. I did the secondary for a couple weeks. It resulted in a super clear beer. Ended up with no sediment/gunk in the bottles.

It actually might have allowed too much yeast to fall out of suspension, though. It is taking forever for it to carbonate.

Also, I don't know why this kit came with the Wyeast American Wheat yeast instead of the actual Wyeast Kolsch yeast. If I do this kit again, I'd definitely try the actual Kolsch yeast.

Also, in addition to the carbonation improving over time, the flavor is getting better over time as well.

Hmm, interesting.

Yeah, I also thought there were specific Kolsch strains, but I didn't bother researching before I bought this. I was a little worried about using the old US-05, but I figured since they had that as an option, it couldn't be *too* bad.

I wonder if especially with US-05 if the secondary is a good idea...

I guess I'll probably just follow the directions and do the secondary.

I'm doing this same kit now. Used US-05 and not doing a secondary, I'll post in a month or so if nobody else chimes in.

I'm doing this same kit now. Used US-05 and not doing a secondary, I'll post in a month or so if nobody else chimes in.

Thanks for the input Swallace. Why did you decide against the secondary? I might still opt to just leave it in primary too if there's good reason to.

Probably no need to secondary a US-05 if you primary long enough and cold crash it. If you used the actual Kolsch yeast (WY2565 or WLP029), a secondary would be helpful to help floc out the yeast. You usually do a secondary that's chilled down to 40 for 3-4 weeks to help drop out the yeast and crisp up the beer.

The kit you made will likely be very tasty. But someday I think you should try it again with one of the liquid Kolsch yeasts. It's in my top 3 most popular brews, I love it!

Probably no need to secondary a US-05 if you primary long enough and cold crash it. If you used the actual Kolsch yeast (WY2565 or WLP029), a secondary would be helpful to help floc out the yeast. You usually do a secondary that's chilled down to 40 for 3-4 weeks to help drop out the yeast and crisp up the beer.

The kit you made will likely be very tasty. But someday I think you should try it again with one of the liquid Kolsch yeasts. It's in my top 3 most popular brews, I love it!

Yeah, I'd like to try it again with the proper yeast. My problem at the moment is I don't have the ability to cold crash. :(

It's interesting too because this kit doesn't say anything about a temp change or cold crash during the secondary. Just to secondary for 2-4 weeks.

I wonder why they are calling it a Koelsch when there is little resembling that style in that recipe. Gold extract, Vanguard hops and US-05 American Wheat strain? A Koelsch would be Pils extract, Vanguard hops (but more likely something like Tettnang or Spalt), and Koelsch yeast.

I wonder why they are calling it a Koelsch when there is little resembling that style in that recipe. Gold extract, Vanguard hops and US-05 American Wheat strain? A Koelsch would be Pils extract, Vanguard hops (but more likely something like Tettnang or Spalt), and Koelsch yeast.

Ha! :drunk: Yeah, I have no idea. Like I said, I was completely unfamiliar with the style prior to purchasing this kit. The only reasons I bought it were because I wanted a quick extract brew I could throw together on bottling day while I bottled another beer, and because it has really good ratings/reviews.

I vaguely remember having a Kolsch last year and thinking I really liked it and wanted to brew one, then checking a recipe and seeing it needed a cold secondary (something I don't have the capability to do well), so I abandoned the idea.

Perhaps this recipe was made for people who can't cold crash?

Koelsch is my favorite Beer, probably because I grew up near Cologne. I use the Wyeast 2565 Koelsch and did the secondary until I got the chance to cold crash. The beer is even clearer now but regarding the taste I can't tell the difference. The only disadvantage is during racking it's more likley to pick up some sediment.

Onipar,

If you have a house with a basement, you can brew up a pretty proper Kolsch in the winter. See, there are some advantages to being a Yank up north!

I brewed an extract Kolsch as my second brew ever, this was before I had a temp controlled fridge. I primary fermented it in an unheated basement room that was around 56 or 57. Then I racked to a carboy and let it sit in the same room for 4 weeks. Every morning I'd open the window for 30 minutes and the room temps steadied in the upper 40's. Added some isinglass when I racked to secondary and the yeast dropped out really clear after 4 weeks.

I don't have a basement, but my brother does. In fact, that' s where we've been brewing the past couple batches because he's able to keep the beer at a consistent 63 in his basement.

Actually, now that I think of it, if he were to shut the heat off down there and put the bucket directly on the concrete, we might be able to hit a low 50's! Worth a try anyway. :D

Regarding the "yeast falling out:" I'm bottle conditioning; will it still have enough yeast to carb up? Someone earlier said it would just take a bit longer, but I thought I'd check.

Thanks all! :mug:

Should be plenty of yeast to carbonate your beer, even if you use Isinglass, racked to carboy for less than 2-3 months, or cold crashed. Just make sure you bottle condition at 65-70F for a few weeks. I've never had a batch not carbonate properly. Some just take a little longer.

Should be plenty of yeast to carbonate your beer, even if you use Isinglass, racked to carboy for less than 2-3 months, or cold crashed. Just make sure you bottle condition at 65-70F for a few weeks. I've never had a batch not carbonate properly. Some just take a little longer.

Right on, thanks! I think I have a good plan of action in mind now. :rockin:

Thanks for the input Swallace. Why did you decide against the secondary? I might still opt to just leave it in primary too if there's good reason to.

This is only my second brew so I'm by no means recommending anything .

I personally can't recall reading any reason to do a secondary so I'm just trying to minimize any possibility of infection thus opting out on the secondary.

FWIW I will not be doing a cold crash either, only because I don't have a way to do so.

Again, I'll report my findings in about a month, I'm 2 weeks into primary as of now.

This is only my second brew so I'm by no means recommending anything .

I personally can't recall reading any reason to do a secondary so I'm just trying to minimize any possibility of infection thus opting out on the secondary.

FWIW I will not be doing a cold crash either, only because I don't have a way to do so.

Again, I'll report my findings in about a month, I'm 2 weeks into primary as of now.

Great, thanks! :mug:

Seems like this is a popular kit. I would definitely like to try it again sometime with the Kolsch yeast. And I'm very interested to see what all of you think of it when it is finished.

I brewed it around late winter/early spring. I didn't have any temp controlled fridge or anything. I just set the fermenter next to an outside wall and it stayed around 58-60 F for the duration of primary and secondary.

I think a temp-controlled fridge isn't really necessary (except for lagers, of course) if you think about timing your brews to coincide with the temps you can maintain in your home. That is, of course, as long as you are willing to let it sit in the spot that best fits the desired temp. My Honey Kolsch sat under our kitchen table for close to 6 weeks.

I'm currently enjoying this beer. I did not secondary and I used the US-05. It's beautiful and tasty. Really great beer.

image-4284470914.jpg

Wow, awesome pic!

Yeah, i can't wait for this one to be done, but it looks like it'll be at least 2 months before I get a a taste. I'm figuring on 1-2 weeks primary, 2-4 weeks secondary, and at least 3 weeks in the bottle before I taste one. I read people suggesting a month or more for best taste.

I better get brewing something else in the meantime! :rockin:

Well, I did 19 days in primary, 14 in secondary and it's been bottled for at least 6 weeks now.

My reasoning for the secondary was that I wanted the beer to be super clear. So, I don't know if a couple more weeks would've developed the flavor more, or if that is accomplished by sitting in the bottles longer anyway.

I bottled when I did party because I was having trouble keeping the temp as low as I wanted it.

So, you're ferm schedule isn't too far off from what I did. Yay for validation. heh. Makes me feel good about how my batch went.

Signpost, I should clarify that one statement I made about "people suggesting a month or more for best taste." I actually meant in the bottle, not secondary. So yeah, your schedule is right about what I'm shooting for.

At first I was in a bit of a rush to get it out of primary, but I think I'll just let it sit for 2 weeks, and maybe only 3 in secondary.

Luckily I bottled a Speckled Heifer the day I brewed the Kolsch, so I'll have that to drink soon.

What temps are you able to keep it at? I was lucky with the timing of my batch and just letting it sit next to an outside wall kept it at a pretty steady 60 F through the 19 days I had it in primary.

I'd have to think that by this time of year it would be harder to keep it that low unless you have some form of temp control. Although, maybe my sense of seasons has shifted in my 5 years living in Arizona. Maybe where you are the temps haven't warmed up quite as much yet.

I'm in PA, and the temps here have been fluctuating a lot. Today it got up to 80 degrees outside, but at night it drops back down to the 50's or even 40's.

My brother just bought a house with a basement, so we've been brewing there lately. He's able to keep the wort temp steady at around 63, but we could get it lower (he keeps a small area heater on to keep the temp steady, and has the bucket on a piece of rug).

I'm thinking once we secondary, we'll shut the heater and put the carboy directly on the cement, which I'm hoping may get the wort into the 50's. We shall see. :tank:

I just had a few bottles of this brew over the weekend while camping at the Grand Canyon (great spot to have a beer, btw). They were delicious. This one is really hitting its stride. About 3 months after brew day.

The honey flavor is more prominent now. It was the floral qualities of the honey that were out front earlier on. Now the richer flavors are really coming through. It is still light, of course, but the flavor has just rounded out a lot. It is a thing of beauty.

Nice! Yeah, that's what I've read in a lot of the reviews: give it time. Most people seemed to like it best after at least a month in the bottle. Which means I have quite a while to wait still!

We were going to transfer to secondary this past weekend, but never got to it. So probably next Saturday will be the day.

I've still got well over a case left. I'm glad I had other batches to drink, so I could leave most of this one alone.

I brewed this same beer on Sunday! It started fermenting like crazy after just five hours with no starter at 64 F (It's at 60 F now). I used the WL029 yeast. I also always have to tweak the kits a little, so I added an absolutely delicious lemon rooibos tea to it at the end of the boil. ...Although we'll see if it is still delicious when the beer's done. :p

Yeah, that was the one thing I made sure to do before brewing this: brew some other stuff to enjoy while it aged. :tank:

Heatwaves, I'm the same way. I have to resist adding extra stuff to the kits. That tea addition sounds pretty good! You'll have to let us know how it turns out.

tonyc318 said:
I'm currently enjoying this beer. I did not secondary and I used the US-05. It's beautiful and tasty. Really great beer.

Tonyc318...
How long did you gave it in the primary for ? How long did you bottle condition ? Am also making this, using the Wyeast. Just put it in the primary Saturday.

Thx,

Doug

stdywell said:
Tonyc318...
How long did you gave it in the primary for ? How long did you bottle condition ? Am also making this, using the Wyeast. Just put it in the primary Saturday.

Thx,

Doug

I had it in the primary for close to 3 weeks. Then it was bottle conditioned for 2 weeks when I stuck a few in the fridge. I usually stick a few in the fridge at 2 weeks, even if the get better later. I do that just for my own learning. Then I left it in the fridge for over 48 hours before I opened it.

Now I will say this. I have a chest freezer with temp control and I was able to cold crash for 2 days before I bottled.

Thanks tony. That's my plan, except for the cold crash as I do not have that ability. Looking forward to this one.

Latest posts

Back