Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > homegrown hops alpha levels

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2009, 11:30 AM   #1
minus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default homegrown hops alpha levels

Hey fellas, I have another quick question for you all. I have a good friend at work that has given me a large amount of hops from his garden (a fellow brewer). I'm going to be brewing an ESB here soon and wanted to use the organic hops for this brew, however I dont know what the alpha levels are for these hops. Is there any tests or ways to help determine how much hops to use? I have both Willamette and cascade.

Also, I was told to do around 6 hop additions during the brew for an ESB, does that sound right? Id ask around, but I dont really have a recipe for this brew. Thanks in advance

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2009, 11:45 AM   #2
size
Recipes 

With homegrown hops, my understanding is that unless you want to pay a lot of money, you look up the alpha acid range for the strain of hops that's grown, and the median is what you go by. So if a hop range is (4.4 - 6.6%), you'd assume it was 5.5%.

And "6 additions" means nothin unless we know how much you add and at what point their added. :]

"If marriage didn't exist, would you invent it?" -Doug Stanhope

Old 10-10-2009, 12:17 PM   #3
minus
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by size View Post
With homegrown hops, my understanding is that unless you want to pay a lot of money, you look up the alpha acid range for the strain of hops that's grown, and the median is what you go by. So if a hop range is (4.4 - 6.6%), you'd assume it was 5.5%.

And "6 additions" means nothin unless we know how much you add and at what point their added. :]
Thanks for the tips with the hops. With regards to the additions, how would you go about making an esb? With my previous brews, I'd add 2oz of hops at the beginning of the brew and another 2oz 10-12 min towards the end of the brew (for the brown Ive been brewing). I am assuming that over the course of 60 min, I'd be adding hops 6 times at different times of the brew?

Old 10-10-2009, 12:56 PM   #4
Grizzlybrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by size View Post

This is kinda the method I've used. I have also read about people making teas and determining/estimating IBU's that way.

Most people can't distinguish a difference of lower than 5 IBU's. So, that makes it harder to judge, but also harder to detect if the end product is slightly off than its intended IBU.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:50 PM   #5
Marius
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use my homegrown hops for flavoring and aroma, since the AA can vary a lot from one harvest to another.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:24 PM   #6
eriktlupus

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

i was in bells general store today and they are selling homegrown hops in 8oz bags for $17. granted not the greatest price now but still not bad to try.

primary1 :UTOPIA BABY(still searching for it)
secondary:middling bastard ipa
kegged:simcoe blonde, crystal pale ale, yellow jacket golden ale, lemon shandy blonde
DRINKIN DAWG BREWERY
LET'S GO RED WINGS

join michigan mashers here

extraction calculator
grains in pounds(G) X 36(average points per gallon of grains) / batch size in gallons(g) = maximum efficiency(ME)
OG / ME = brewhouse efficiency

Quick Reply