homeade CO2 generator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelican521

Reaction score
I don't keg so I don't have a CO2 canister but was searching the web and found an easy way to generate CO2 with quick rise yeast and some 2 liter bottles and sugar. I saw it on youtube but it shown in p.lant growing applications

Has anyone done something like this to make some CO2 to say, purge the headspace of a primary or secondary? I'm not sure if there's a practical application for this in brewing but thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

Sounds like an infection waiting to happen.

But yeah, there is something very similar in brewing. Some germans capture the CO2 from their fermentations to comply with the old purity laws.

For your purposes I don't think this is really feasible. Additionally for the time, effort, and materials involved you can do something better.

You can get yourself a 12 gram CO2 charge like the one in the link below:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/soda-keg-co2-charger.html?gclid=CNGB6LWA0r4CFUsaOgodF1wAOg

Attach a piece of hose to it and wala you have a hand held purging device that uses relatively cheap, disposable, readily available (Walmart) 12gram CO2 cartridges.

You don't need to purge your primary because any oxygen in the headspace will be used by the yeast or expelled by the CO2 produced by fermentation. Secondaries are more problematic because there should be no fermentation still going on when you rack so there will be no CO2 produced there to purge the headspace. A little DME dissolved in hot water (hot enough to pasteurize it) dumped into the seconary would produce CO2 to purge it. Better yet is just leave your beer in the primary until it is done.

Funny, you should mention that RM-MN. I'm going to skip the secondary for the first time for an IPA I have now.

Latest posts

Back