High Temp Hydrometer Readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muse435

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know this is probably stupid, but can you take a hydrometer reading after you steep but before you boil? Since my hydrometer is calibrated for 60 deg F can I just use the temp and reading to convert? I just did not know if the conversion had an upper limit.

muse435 said:
I know this is probably stupid, but can you take a hydrometer reading after you steep but before you boil? Since my hydrometer is calibrated for 60 deg F can I just use the temp and reading to convert? I just did not know if the conversion had an upper limit.

You wouldn't get an accurate reading of your OG if that's what you're trying to get before the boil. If you want this sample for testing your efficiency you should take a sample and let it cool while you do your boil. There is an upper limit but I don't remember what it is ATM.

I want to get in the habit of taking a pre-boil reading for efficiency. I still will take the OG reading after the boil and cool down.
Thank you

Back