high ending gravity...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yewtah-brewha

Reaction score
I brewed a pale ale with .5 honey malt 10 days ago, Put it in the secondary 5 days ago at that time eg was 1.14 today reading was still 1.14 The OG was 1.50

I have always had them end in the 1.04 range. over the last 5 days since secondary began I do have airlock activity, so I thought it was finishing up, but it appears to be finished, scared as hell to bottle this one for fear of bottle bombs,

any one had this high of an eg? my mash in temps were alittle high, but I brought it down to the 154 mark within 15 minutes with cold water additions.

I'm thinking your mash temps might still have been too high, depending on the yeast you used I would expect an FG around 1.012-1.014 at a mash temp of 154

Doing some mash calculations with a half pound of honey malt and the balance being two row to get to an OG of 1.050, with a typical yeast attenuation of 75% and medium alcohol tolerance, the numbers say you should hit 1.014 FG spot on.

Thanks for the input, it wasn't a vigorous fermentation, and it was pretty much finished on day 4. go figure. Its still burping co2 10 days later..

It can burp CO2 for any number of reasons that have nothing to do with fermentation. Trust your hydrometer. It's most likely done, but if you are worried just let it sit another week.

Cheers,

Latest posts

Back