High active fermentation help. Foil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewdude25

Reaction score
I came home today (luckily at the time i did) to find my airlock full of wort and clogged. It was on a glass carboy.
After switching it out and getting clogged again a couple times, I made a blow off tube. It looks like that is going to get clogged too.

I have heard of people using foil. Is that safe for the beer? If so, how exactly do i do it?
Thanks,
Ian

What size tube are you using for the blowoff? That shouldn't get clogged unless you're using something pretty narrow. Usually people use foil over the top to just lightly cover the opening so that stuff can't fall into the fermenter but fits loosely enough that CO2 can escape. If you have massive amounts of bubbles and gunk coming out there's no way the foil is going to stay on.

That being said, as long as you have such an active fermentation going there's so much coming out that there's little concern of stuff actually getting in the beer so there isn't much to worry about. I'd say stick with the blowoff tube. The fermentation will likely settle down by tomorrow so that you can pop a regular airlock back on.

Thanks, It is a pretty narrow tube. Fits over the middle part of the blow off. I'd say 1/2" thick. That is all i have though, so might have to try the foil.

Sounds like you've put the 1/2" outside diameter tube over the centerpiece of the airlock. I've done that with several very active blowoffs and not had a problem, but if you think it's going to clog again don't hesitate to simply loosen the top and let it rest on the fermenter, allowing the overflow gas and krausen to escape. As Marubozo said you have little risk of contamination with everything pushing out. Once the gusher has stopped you can wipe the edge of the lid with sanitizer and replace it and the airlock. The only real risk you're facing here is a mess if you don't relieve the pressure.

If you are going to continue to use a blowoff you should get a 1" tube. It should fit pretty tight inside the opening of the carboy. Marubozo is right, as long as stuff is pushing out, nothing is likely to find it's way in. Just make sure you put that airlock back in once the krausen starts to fall.

Back