Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Half Batches, Does anybody do that?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2008, 12:10 PM   #1
zacster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Default Half Batches, Does anybody do that?

Maybe it isn't worth the trouble, but does anybody do a half batch, 2.5g instead of the usual 5?

If I'm going to make unusual beers I know that I don't need 2 cases. I just can't imagine drinking more than a few honey or cherry or whatever beers before I get tired of the taste. Usually a 6 pack is all I really need.

I don't think it would matter if I just halve the ingredients, or maybe split the flavorings into 2 batches. There isn't anything magical about 5 gallons. It's all an art anyway. The only thing is the prep time remains the same, except for the bottling, so I don't save anything there.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2008, 12:17 PM   #2
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I know at least one HBT'er (benny blanco) makes 1 gallon batches as mad scientist experiments. If you're willing to put in the same amount of work for a gallon as for 5 gallons, well, then it's your beer, doo it!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Old 03-26-2008, 03:01 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

I don't make half batches, but I do split batches. I've done different yeasts, different fermentation temperatures, dry hopping and adding steepings or other flavorings.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-26-2008, 03:14 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2724 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

The guys at basic brewing radio/video are big proponents of small batch brewing...

There are several audio & video podcasts on that subject on basicbrewing.com

I'm working on an article about doing small batch allgrain in mr beer fermentors...I'm reformulating some of my 5 gallon PM recipes into 2.5 gallon AG batches.....and blowing the dust off my little brown keg.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-26-2008, 03:17 PM   #5
FatMonsters
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacster
If I'm going to make unusual beers I know that I don't need 2 cases. I just can't imagine drinking more than a few honey or cherry or whatever beers before I get tired of the taste.
This is what I did for my mint chocolate stout and spiced winter ale; I made 3 gallons of each, kinda as a limited release since i wasn't sure how much I'd want or how well it'd be received. But now looking back, I wish I had made the full 5 gallons of the stout, its really good. The spiced winter is still harsh and mellowing, so I guess it'll be for winter 2008 by the time it comes into its own, so hard to tell if I'm going to regret only 3 gallons...

Old 03-26-2008, 10:47 PM   #6
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I sometimes do 3gallon batches, all grain, in the cold winter months using my kitchen stove.

that still nets you a full case and about a 6pack.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 03-26-2008, 10:51 PM   #7
Brewbeard
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Right now all I can do are partial mashes. I was thinking about doing a 2.5 gallon batch that would just be the wort from the partial mash. It would give me a taste of all grain brewing.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:34 PM   #8
XxonValdez
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I plan on doing 2.5 gallon batches as I got all my equipment from an old lab in the basement of my research building, i got a bunch of 4L Erlenmeyer flasks to brew in with buildt in blow off attachments in the necks, not ideal but it was free and will function very nicely. I also got a bunch of stir plates and a vortexer as well as a bunch of other cool glass bottles and some really nice volumetric flasks in a bunch of different sizes, also got a CO2 regulator out of the place as well, it was a pretty fun day ....anyhow yes I do half batches.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:06 PM   #9
zacster
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Maybe once I get an inventory built up I'll do some smaller batches of specialty beers then. At this point I have my 2 batches going, and I'm going to do a third as soon as the fermenter is free. I'm thinking one heavy beer and one flavored and maybe a spiced beer. Since no one in my house really drinks any of these even on an occasional basis they'd only be for guests/parties/tastings.

With a half size batch I can do an almost full boil too.

One other question, does it matter if I just use my 5 gallon bucket and carboy? That's all I have and I'm not buying any more, my wife will kill me.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:25 PM   #10
Danek
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacster
One other question, does it matter if I just use my 5 gallon bucket and carboy? That's all I have and I'm not buying any more, my wife will kill me.
Nah, that'll be fine. That's what I do for my experimental split batches, with no ill-effects.

Quick Reply