good beer/yeast for warm fermenting temperatures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiredboy

Reaction score
A bit early to ask the question as I haven't even started my first brew yet (it should arrive tomorrow) but is there a beer style and/or yeast strain that is suited to warmer fermenting temperatures?

My first batch will be AC controlled but I'm not sure how many times I will be able to justify running the AC 24/7 for extended periods and room temperature (without AC) is around 85 degrees. I plan on making a son of a fermentation chamber but just wondered whether an alternative would be to find a beer type/yeast strain that wouldn't be bothered by fermenting in a room at 85 degrees.

Most of the time that will give you a lot of Esters. Other than finding a yeast for high temps maybe try to just get a water bath either in a bath tub or say a large bucket and freeze water bottles and rotate them out.

I have read that saisons do well at ~80f temps...but my knowledge of them is pretty limited so take this with a grain of salt.

I second the fermentation chamber idea. I plan to invest in one ASAP for my future brews, as I hear they make a big difference in your beer's quality. Also, there's always the swamp cooler.

I forgot about saisons. Look at some recipes in the recipe section at the top of the forum page. It seems to me that you have to ramp up the temps at some point.

I live in Texas and have the same problem, just made a fermentation chamber which works great and makes the beer taste better. You can get a cheap chest freezer and temp controller to make a ferm chamber. I would suggest a ranco temp controller for the job and then ferment at temps in the low 60s for ales and low 40s for lagers (or per recipe instructions). You can also make your own fermentation chamber if you dont want to pay alot of money like I did. Just research fermentation chambers in these forums and there will be alot of ones that you can make on the cheap.

Other than finding a yeast for high temps maybe try to just get a water bath either in a bath tub or say a large bucket and freeze water bottles and rotate them out.

+1 for ice baths.

I live in the Deep South, and it gets pretty hot here in the summers. The temp around my fermenter is probably 75-80 degrees, but I've been able to easily keep my wort temp at or below 60 degrees F by simply using an ice bath and covering my fermenter in a t-shirt (so it absorbs the cold water). It's surprisingly effective and cheap to boot.

+1 for ice baths.
I live in the Deep South, and it gets pretty hot here in the summers. The temp around my fermenter is probably 75-80 degrees, but I've been able to easily keep my wort temp at or below 60 degrees F by simply using an ice bath and covering my fermenter in a t-shirt (so it absorbs the cold water). It's surprisingly effective and cheap to boot.

So no need for AC, just a very big "icebucket"?

Tiredboy is in Jamaica not sure how cheap chest freezer is going to be

That is certainly an issue (as is space!)

So no need for AC, just a very big "icebucket"?

Yeah, I wouldn't expect A/C to help much unless you can divert the air to a small closet or something. Water is a much better conductor of heat than air anyway.

I just take one of these and fill it about 1/3 full of water, and I put frozen bottles of water in it periodically.

You'll need to check the wort temp from time to time to know when to put new ice bottles in; however, those little fermometer strips fall apart in water, so if you're using one, you'll want to keep it above the water line and tape over it with clear tape.

Even better, if you can find a cheap digital cooking thermometer with long cable, you can put the probe against the side of your fermenter with a cloth over it, and tape it up as water-tight as you can get it. It makes it much easier to monitor the temp.

I have been able to stay low 60's by using the swamp cooler method. Put the fermenter in a water bath (like a cooler or just a big storage bin) and dress it up with a t-shirt that drops into the water. Put a fan blowing on the shirt to speed up evaporation, it will wick up water and keep evaporating. Add a frozen milk jug (with water in it, obviously) and change it out every day, you may have to refill with water once or twice, but primary will only take 7-10 days at most anyway.

Back