first time kegging question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I'm about to keg for the first time.. I have my carboy sitting in a cold area of the house "cold crashing", however, I noticed there might be a bit of sediment in the carboy and I would like to filter it out when transferring it into my keg. Would it be ok to just pour the carboy into the keg through a funnel with a screen on it? Most of the tutorials I've seen show them using a siphon to get it into the keg. would pouring through the screen funnel mess it up? Once its in the keg, I'm planning on putting the keg pressure at like 9psi and letting it sit that way for a week. Thanks!

Do not pour it into your keg through a funnel. You will oxygenate your beer, which could result in a not so pleasant taste. Just rack from the carboy with a cane or siphon kit and hose. Any sediment transferred to the keg will settle to the bottom, and likely come out when you pull your first beer from the tap.

Do not pour it into your keg through a funnel. You will oxygenate your beer, which could result in a not so pleasant taste. Just rack from the carboy with a cane or siphon kit and hose.

Good advice, also, if you give the carboy enough time at a cold enough temperature, everything will settle to the bottom of the carboy and the beer will clear up. When you rack to the keg, make sure you do not disturb that layer of yeast and stuff in the bottom of the carboy, leave it there and only put the clear beer from above it in the keg.

Good advice, also, if you give the carboy enough time at a cold enough temperature, everything will settle to the bottom of the carboy and the beer will clear up. When you rack to the keg, make sure you do not disturb that layer of yeast and stuff in the bottom of the carboy, leave it there and only put the clear beer from above it in the keg.

OK I suspected something like that might be the case...just wasn't sure how much it mattered right before pressurizing the beer, I thought maybe pressurizing right away would chase any oxygen out. OK I'll just use a siphon. Thanks guys.

Wow TallDan you're from Waukegan? Let me know if you're ever in the Glenview area and you can stop in and have a beer, k?

Wow TallDan you're from Waukegan? Let me know if you're ever in the Glenview area and you can stop in and have a beer, k?

Well, I usually go to Evanston once a month for the Evanston Homebrew club Thirsty Third Thursday. Didn't make it this week though, went to hopleaf instead.

Well, I usually go to Evanston once a month for the Evanston Homebrew club Thirsty Third Thursday. Didn't make it this week though, went to hopleaf instead.

hmm looks interesting. I'll have to check it out one of these third Thursdays! Thanks for the tip.

Latest posts

Back