First Scorch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinb

Reaction score
While I was cleaning up my brew kettle tonight, I noticed some scorched LME in the bottom. I didn't really taste anything burnt in the wart, but it is so sweet it is hard to tell for sure. Am I in trouble? :eek:

Depends, what kind of beer were you making?

I scorched my first beer -- but it was a porter. I think it helped; the next time I make a porter I'm going to deliberately scorch some wort.

If you didn't taste any scorched flavor, it should be ok. I don't know what else to tell you except to wait and see. Sometimes a little scorched wort doesn't affect the flavor of the beer, so it's probable that it will be fine!

I scorch some extract now and again. I think nothing of it. Never noticed it in any of my beers. I guess it depends on how much it scorches. I've had up to 3 one-inch diameter patches on the bottom of my kettle before.

I scorch some extract now and again. i think nothing of it. Never noticed it in any of my beers. I guess it depends on how much it scorches.

Me too. It happens from time to time. The only way to know is to let it ride. I did an extract batch a few months ago, thought for sure I'd fried the extract, visible and I could even (maybe in my own head) smell it after racking the wort from the kettle. I was sure I'd be able to taste it in the beer even though the OG sample tasted like unburnt wort and nothing else, it was an IPA. But it turned out fine, pretty good in fact. :mug:

Depends, what kind of beer were you making?

I scorched my first beer -- but it was a porter. I think it helped; the next time I make a porter I'm going to deliberately scorch some wort.

It is a Canadian dark ale.

I scorched my LME on my first batch and it didnt show up until about six weeks in the bottle. It tastes like burnt wood and paper. It's rough. Hopefully yours doesn't do anything.

Back