The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First home brew - switching buckets

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 01:54 AM   #1
ohshot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default First home brew - switching buckets

Me and a friend just got true brew beer equipment kit and picked up a pale ale ingredient kit aswell. Seems to be going along nice although not really sure what I'm doing. Here's some pics!

image-2527540436.jpg

image-3944169093.jpg

How does this look so far?

Old 11-16-2012, 02:03 AM   #2
Easterbrook
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Looks like you're making beer. Are you transferring to a bottling bucket, or is that a secondary?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 02:19 AM   #3
ohshot
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well, we are using our secondary bucket as a bottling bucket. Just gonna let it sit for a few days. Had a taste and it takes like flat uncarbonated beer.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:59 AM   #4
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 701 Times on 588 Posts
Likes Given: 218

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohshot View Post
Well, we are using our secondary bucket as a bottling bucket. Just gonna let it sit for a few days. Had a taste and it takes like flat uncarbonated beer.
I'm not sure what you mean here. If you are using the bottling bucket for a secondary, it will be difficult to mix in the priming sugar without aerating your beer which you don't want to do. If you have already added the priming sugar the yeast will have it all gone in a couple days and you will have flat beer in your bottles.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:19 AM   #5
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 345 Times on 225 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Had a taste and it takes like flat uncarbonated beer.
Which means you did it right. Congrats!

Old 11-16-2012, 11:48 AM   #6
ohshot
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN

I'm not sure what you mean here. If you are using the bottling bucket for a secondary, it will be difficult to mix in the priming sugar without aerating your beer which you don't want to do. If you have already added the priming sugar the yeast will have it all gone in a couple days and you will have flat beer in your bottles.
Hmmm. So do I switch it back to my primary bucket to add the sugar? And then just siphon it back to the bottling bucket?
Sorry, read the kits instructions and got a little confused.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:54 AM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Hmmm. So do I switch it back to my primary bucket to add the sugar? And then just siphon it back to the bottling bucket?
Sorry, read the kits instructions and got a little confused.
You don't want to risk aerating the beer, but you are probably going to have to do something like that to mix in the priming sugar.

I don't use a "secondary" very often but if you do, make sure you use a carboy, or something without the wide headspace of a bucket. Once fermentation ends, you want to prevent oxygen from contacting the beer as much as possible. Normally, you rack the beer into the bottling bucket only when you are going to bottle the beer

Old 11-16-2012, 11:56 AM   #8
whoaru99
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 16

No. If your plan is to bottle the beer then you do the priming sugar thing in the bottling bucket and immediately thereafter bottle the beer.

Generally you put some of the beer into the bottling bucket, maybe a gallon or so, then add the priming sugar solution and add the rest of the beer. Some say that is adequate mixing by addition of the remaining beer. Some say to GENTLY stir a few times (avoiding any splashing and aeration) after the priming is added for more consistent bottle-to-bottle carbonation.

Primary: Edwort's Apfelwein
Secondary: Russian Imperial Stout
Drinking: Chinook IPA
Drinking: Waldo Lake Amber
Drinking: Edwort's Apfelwein

Old 11-16-2012, 12:22 PM   #9
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 345 Times on 225 Posts
Likes Given: 47

You could simply let it finish secondary where it is and try the priming tabs that your LHBS should have (or get them online). I've never used them, but I know people who swear by them. You simply add them to the bottle before you put in the beer and then cap. I agree with Yooper about using a carboy for secondary. Unlike him, though, all of my beers go on secondary for at least a week--personal choice. Your next investment should be a five gallon carboy. When you do, get an auto-siphon too.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:57 PM   #10
ohshot
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Alright thanks for everyone's replies. Taking this as a learning process as its my first time. But what I'm planning to do is siphon the beer back into my primary fermenting bucket just for storage. Then add the first gallon of beer then add the priming sugar and finish off adding the beer. I would try the tabs but the budget on this starting kit is starting to take its toll.

Quick Reply