Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First Brew since April of 2001 - I'm an official beginner again!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2013, 05:21 PM   #1
KingBubbaTruck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default First Brew since April of 2001 - Fermentation Chamber Built!

So, looking at my brewing records, apparently I haven't brewed since 2001.

I used to do 10 gallon full grain batches with a herms type of mash. We moved, and I never really unboxed my equipment or got things setup. But I've got a get together scheduled and just enough time to get a brew together.

I had even bought the ingredients a few months ago, but never got around to doing anything. Suffice to say, panic is setting in, and I've been running around trying to get everything setup.

My pack of yeast and already 'sploded' on its own, so last night I went ahead and made a starter. So far so, good, starter is going good.

palominopaleale_001.jpg

I decided to do the same recipe I used to do, same method.

I have upgraded a few items, such as getting some new camlock fittings and silicone hoses instead of the old garden hose fittings and hoses.

Also trying to get my 15 gallon plastic conical fermenter setup. I can always fall back though on carboys if that falls through.

So Brew day is Sunday, I'll be doing a practice run through Friday to make sure I've got everything set and am ready to go.

I'll update this with more pictures as I get all the equipment setup.

Wish me Luck!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2013, 05:41 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 1905 Times on 1677 Posts
Likes Given: 1410

Welcome back! Glad you still have all your brewing stuff. May 4th is National Home Brewer's Day. Maybe even join the rest of us on that day after getting set up again?! I'll be doing a partial mash berliner wheat beer. I also have a new grain crusher coming in with hopper & mounting plate for my homer cheapo bucket. Congrats & I hope your brew day goes smoothly!

KingBubbaTruck Likes This 
Old 04-26-2013, 12:51 AM   #3
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Welcome back. I took 7 years off too. I was very cautious about things at first, but it all comes back quickly.

Lots of things have changed since 2001. It will be fun learning.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:16 AM   #4
KingBubbaTruck
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

So Here's the 'Brewery'. Doesn't look like much, but it's a single pump 2 tier HERMS capable brewing system. What that means is I can use the little kettle on the left to raise the temperature of the mash (HERMS = Heat Exchange Recirculating Mash) by running the liquid in the mash through a coil of copper in that kettle. The Hot Liquor tank is the cooler on the left, the mash tun the cooler on the right. The main boil kettle is on the far right. I use one pump to mover everything around. You can see the GFCI (yellow thing on the far left) to protect me from the lectrics. I've got a new counterflow wort chiller (Bunch of copper) by the kettle. All new stainless steel cam lock fittings and all new high temp silicone tubing.
Tomorrow I'll do some work on my 15 gallon conical fermentation tank and temperature controlled fermentation chamber.
I love how technical you can make this sound when all it really means is a bunch of coolers and stuff I got at the hardware store and online...

Still have an awful lot of cleaning, sanitizing to do. I've got Starsan, PBW, so I should be good to go...

palominobrewery.jpg

Old 04-26-2013, 01:29 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 1905 Times on 1677 Posts
Likes Given: 1410

Looks like it'll def get the job done. We're understandably curious about how your "new" batch turns out...

KingBubbaTruck Likes This 
Old 04-26-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
SoonerDoc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBubbaTruck View Post

Shouldn't you take the airlock off the starter? You want O2 in the starter. Cover it with sanitized foil instead.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:52 PM   #7
KingBubbaTruck
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Hmmm,

Going by memory and I've always used the airlocks on the past. I did step it up a bit last night and aerated the 'wort' pretty well then.

I'll have to do some more research on that. It certainly makes sense, since I do have oxygen to aerate the wort for the brew.

The starter is bubbling away quite nicely, so I think I'll just err on the side of inaction this time. It's still got a couple more days to grow. I'm not planning on brewing till Sunday.

Today I build the fermentation chamber, and tomorrow I clean. Thankfully, once I get this first batch done, all the hard setup work will be out of the way and I'll be able to breeze through future brew days.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:10 PM   #8
KingBubbaTruck
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Seems as if Foil is the consensus, so next time I'll probably go that route. I did step this up to about 3 liters and got a nice little yeast cake going.

Put the starter in the fridge to crash the yeast, and I'll decant it and use it tomorrow.

Old 04-27-2013, 05:13 PM   #9
temple240
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBubbaTruck View Post
Seems as if Foil is the consensus, so next time I'll probably go that route. I did step this up to about 3 liters and got a nice little yeast cake going.

Put the starter in the fridge to crash the yeast, and I'll decant it and use it tomorrow.
You can also get foam stoppers at your lhbs as an alternative to foil.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:35 PM   #10
KingBubbaTruck
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Got the fermentation chamber built. Still need to work on the keezer collar. I'll be using my keezer with a thermostatically controlled fan to provide cool air to the fermentation chamber.

Now I just need to clean everything up really good and run through some tests.

Tomorrow morning I brew!

img_9043.jpg

Quick Reply