First Batch Double Check

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamBomb

Reaction score
As previously stated in my first post I have been making wine for the better part of the last ten years but have never made beer and seeing that I am one of those guys that researches things until I know enough to be paranoid I wanted to get a peer review of the procedure I plan to use on my first brew day.

I have ordered both the American Cream Ale and Milk Stout Brewers Best kits and have yet to decide which will be the first victim.

This is the plan:

Brew Day Eve: I am going to prepare a starter of 1 cup DME in 1 liter of water boiled and cooled. Wort goes into sanitized 2L Erlenmeyer add 1/2 tsp Yeast Nutrient and dry yeast and onto stir plate till the following day. Also will mix starsan with distilled water in 5 gal bucket to sanitize EVERYTHING.

Brew Day: Scrub, clean, and sanitize everything that I can find. Follow instructions that come with kit exactly using filtered water. After cooling below 70 degrees. Drain into 5 gallon carboy through ball valve on kettle hooked to a length of sanitized tubing with aerator on end. Top up with previously boiled and cooled water. Pitch starter prepared earlier. Fit sanitized Blow off tube with end in bucket of starsan.

Am I missing anything?

Should I use a 6.5 gal carboy and an airlock or does it really matter?

I have buckets but I would like to see whats doin in there if possible and I don't trust the seals on the lids.

What yeast are you using? Think Brewers Best kits come with Dry Yeast, which should not be used in a starter. Just rehydrate and pitch brew day (BB instructions will say dont rehydrate, packet will say rehydrate. Pitching dry will work, but if you rehydrate it will get things going quicker.

Most will say use a blow off always, at least for first few days. I have always used an airlock but Im sure one day Ill have a mess and change my ways. Think also it depends on OG of the beer, what type of yeast.

Slightly off topic: I've been using fermcap in my boils as I originally used a 7.5 gallon turkey fryer pot and my krausen isn't nearly as big now. I haven't used a blow off set up in several batches. I also have a fermentation fridge so temps don't ever get crazy fwiw.

Back