First batch... Bottling/carbonation question!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisdq

Reaction score
Hey guys, first post and first batch! I've been lurking the boards for the past week, soo much info to be learned!

Anyways, finally reached my FG and I'm ready to bottle. I've managed to save up a bunch of 12oz, 22oz, and a few 26oz swingtops. Now my question is when I go to bottle, is there a certain size bottle that I shouldn't use because it might not carbonate enough? I think I read somewhere it wasn't a great idea to bottle into growlers? Will my 26oz bottles have as much carbonation as my 12oz bottles?

Also, does anyone have any input on those sugar tab for carbonation? I think coopers makes them...

Any input would be great! I'd love to search a bit more but it's getting late and I kinda would like to bottle around lunch time tomorrow!

Thanks!

Chris

If you add the priming solution to your bottling bucket, then you can use any size bottles. If you are using the tabs, those are made for a particular size bottle and you would need to follow the directions.

Jim

You are correct about some growlers. The now standard 64oz with a twist cap is thinner glass and can't get a good seal. That's why you have to drink them quickly. If you have flip top style growlers, you should be ok. However, that means you're going to be drinking a half gallon at a time (not saying that I don't, but not usually the same beer). I've used various sized bottles and not noticed a difference. Use the same amount of head space 1.5" or so and it should be fine.

Thanks guys... Any input on using all 5oz of the priming sugar that came with my 5 gallon IPA kit?

5 oz priming sugar is usually standard in kits. there are plenty of carbonation calculators, just search google. I use them for when I party pig half my batch and need to bottle the rest. i can't jsut prime the bottle bucket since the "pigs" take less sugar.

I have tried Muntons carbonation tabs. I think they are OK. They sometimes leave "flakes" in your beer though. I guess the tab doesn't always dissolve completely.

:off:
as for the pigs - do the math...if you use 4.5 oz (some LHBS' sell 4.5 oz instead of 5 oz priming packs) you can mix the priming sugar directly into your bottling bucket and fill the pig from there and the rest into bottles without overcarbonating the pig.

Hey guys, first post and first batch! I've been lurking the boards for the past week, soo much info to be learned!

Anyways, finally reached my FG and I'm ready to bottle. I've managed to save up a bunch of 12oz, 22oz, and a few 26oz swingtops. Now my question is when I go to bottle, is there a certain size bottle that I shouldn't use because it might not carbonate enough? I think I read somewhere it wasn't a great idea to bottle into growlers? Will my 26oz bottles have as much carbonation as my 12oz bottles?

Also, does anyone have any input on those sugar tab for carbonation? I think coopers makes them...

Any input would be great! I'd love to search a bit more but it's getting late and I kinda would like to bottle around lunch time tomorrow!

Thanks!

Chris

You are not supposed to bottle in growlers for safety reasons, not carbonation reasons. You don't know which ones will explode until, well, they explode!!!

Back