Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Final Gravity = Fully fermented?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
W0rthog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Final Gravity = Fully fermented?

Yet another newb question.
I goofed when pitching my yeast into an Oktoberfest, because I didn't make a starter. With 1 smack pack, there was lag, but i believe the beer reached the proper final gravity.
My question is this; if a beer reaches final gravity, does this mean it finished fermenting?
My concern is my beer may be too sweet due to low yeast count. I'll know in 2 months when it's done lager'ing.
Thanks in advance

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 09:05 PM   #2
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

"Final gravity" is ONLY determined by when the gravity reading is stable over a few samples taken days apart. Don't ever get it from a number you saw somewhere. Every beer does it's own thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 10-19-2012, 09:43 PM   #3
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 471 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 210

In short, yes Final Gravity means final gravity or complete fermentation. As tre9er stated, every beer will finish differently as there are a lot of factors involved in a beer reaching its final gravity so just because a recipe tells you it should be 1.xxxx doesn't mean your beer will be there when done. Some may be higher, some lower but if you take a couple samples over a few days and they remain the same then the beer is done.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 10-19-2012, 09:53 PM   #4
Matt3989
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The low yeast count won't affect the final sweetness of your beer, that's determined by the amount unfermentable sugars you have in you're recipe. if your final gravity is supposed to be 1.018, it will be a much sweeter beer than say 1.005. Remember, gravity readings are just a measure of how much sugar is resolved in a liquid.

That being said, an under pitch (low initial yeast count) can give you some off flavors because it initially puts extra stress on the yeast. However, the yeast do do a fairly good job cleaning up after themselves, they'll remove some of the off flavors given time.

If you tell us the OG we'll be able to tell you how badly (if at all) you underpitched. But i wouldn't worry about it, I've never known anyone to do a starter on their first brew.... I've done a few without starters and they've turned out delicious.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:11 PM   #5
manoaction
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Are you doing all grain? I found that mashing at the wrong temp made me miss my final gravities in the beginning. Too hot and you'll be sweet, too low and you'll be too thin.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:21 PM   #6
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 371 Times on 302 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
"Final gravity" is ONLY determined by when the gravity reading is stable over a few samples taken days apart. Don't ever get it from a number you saw somewhere. Every beer does it's own thing.
How true.
I routinely finish a few points lower that the predicted FG.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:25 PM   #7
Squirrels
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'll be honest - I just let mine sit in the primary for 3-4 weeks. I take my gravity reading then. After a month it should be done and I trust the brew to bottles. No bottle bombs after doing it this way for 3 years.

I'm a bit Nuts.

Mad Cow Brewery

Old 10-19-2012, 11:30 PM   #8
menerdari
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Don't confuse done fermenting with done and ready to bottle. Yes you can bottle when it is done fermenting but if you give it a little extra time the yeast will clean up some of the off flavors and you will have a better tasting beer.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:50 PM   #9
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt3989
The low yeast count won't affect the final sweetness of your beer, that's determined by the amount unfermentable sugars you have in you're recipe. if your final gravity is supposed to be 1.018, it will be a much sweeter beer than say 1.005. Remember, gravity readings are just a measure of how much sugar is resolved in a liquid.

That being said, an under pitch (low initial yeast count) can give you some off flavors because it initially puts extra stress on the yeast. However, the yeast do do a fairly good job cleaning up after themselves, they'll remove some of the off flavors given time.

If you tell us the OG we'll be able to tell you how badly (if at all) you underpitched. But i wouldn't worry about it, I've never known anyone to do a starter on their first brew.... I've done a few without starters and they've turned out delicious.
Excellent answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 10-20-2012, 12:07 AM   #10
W0rthog
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoaction
Are you doing all grain? I found that mashing at the wrong temp made me miss my final gravities in the beginning. Too hot and you'll be sweet, too low and you'll be too thin.
I'm doing an extract kit. Thanks for sharing.

Quick Reply