FG to high... maybe its the cold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfowlks

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Quick question, So I just did my 2nd batch, at my new place in Maryland, however lately its been pretty up and down in terms of temperature. So 2 weeks ago (3/25), I did another brew, a red IPA, it had a OG of 1.063. Right now its about 1.026. Which is still pretty high, considering the estimated FG is 1.013.

Yeast I used: Safale American (US-05) (No Starter)
Average Temp on sticker: 62-64

I wan't to brew more but these temperatures are killing me. Also I'm thinking of building a Fermentation Chamber, and a stir plate for the yeast.

Any tips/help is appreciated.

Thanks

no the temp for this yeast says 59-75 degrees. maybe not enough airation when you pitched and it just ran out... also a starter would help as you signifigantly start with more active cells.
i would keep going and see how it turns out. your only in for under 2 weeks and it could possibly just take a little longer to get that last bit. RDWHAHB
its amazing how an extra week can make on beer. it may still end out just fine...

No need for a starter with dry yeast. I bet it just needs more time. Are you sure your hydrometer is properly calibrated?

Well I've started using a refractometer because it requires less fluid to give a reading. the Brix red 9.1, and with my OG of 1.063, using calculations its at 1.026. However, I did taste it and it did taste pretty awesome with the hoppyness, however it was still a bit sweet.

I think I'll leave it for another week or 2, I'm not much in a hurry as I currently have 3 in kegs along with a 1/2 barrel

Thanks for the advice guys

Back