Fermenting more than 7 days IS a good thing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Epimetheus

Reaction score
OK, so, you were right. Leaving it in the primary fermenter for 14 or more days can be a good thing.

The last 3 batches I had to leave in the primary until I got more bottle caps. One batch sat there about a month.

They were absolutely clear into the bottling bucket. The yeast cleaned up everything and settled down into a very firm cake at the bottom.

Usually I decant to the bottling bucket after 7 to 10 days because the fermentation has certainly stopped. I use simple recipes that finish fairly quickly. They have always been murky when they were bottled and the conditioned beer remained cloudy. I tried irish moss and cold crashing and they did help. Leaving it alone really allowed it to clear.

The minimum i keg from is 2 weeks, most of mine sit in for 3-4 weeks and yes all my beers come out crystal clear!

Also use Whirlfloc, its far superior to standard Irish moss...

2 weeks minimum for small beers, 4 weeks for big beers. Works every time to clear and clean up the beer toward maturation. To quote good old Alton Brown, "Your patience will be rewarded."

Good results makes waiting a little easier, doesn't it?

Latest posts

Back