Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermenting more than 7 days IS a good thing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2013, 07:16 PM   #1
Epimetheus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Default Fermenting more than 7 days IS a good thing

OK, so, you were right. Leaving it in the primary fermenter for 14 or more days can be a good thing.

The last 3 batches I had to leave in the primary until I got more bottle caps. One batch sat there about a month.

They were absolutely clear into the bottling bucket. The yeast cleaned up everything and settled down into a very firm cake at the bottom.

Usually I decant to the bottling bucket after 7 to 10 days because the fermentation has certainly stopped. I use simple recipes that finish fairly quickly. They have always been murky when they were bottled and the conditioned beer remained cloudy. I tried irish moss and cold crashing and they did help. Leaving it alone really allowed it to clear.

Add your water analysis to the water report map! Instructions on this thread

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2013, 08:14 PM   #2
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 217 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 16

The minimum i keg from is 2 weeks, most of mine sit in for 3-4 weeks and yes all my beers come out crystal clear!

Also use Whirlfloc, its far superior to standard Irish moss...

Old 12-26-2013, 09:21 PM   #3
adiochiro3
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 79

2 weeks minimum for small beers, 4 weeks for big beers. Works every time to clear and clean up the beer toward maturation. To quote good old Alton Brown, "Your patience will be rewarded."

Good results makes waiting a little easier, doesn't it?

James

Quick Reply