fermentation, alot of pressure in pail..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EyePeeAy

Reaction score
hey guys, i started my first batch last night, and i put it in a cool dark place, under the stairs in my basement. i was curious this morning so i took a look and my airlock is filled with fermenting beer and the cover on the pail is popped up. now i know when the yeasties are feeding its going to let off gases, but is it supposed to be this much? is something wrong? theres beer dripping out of the airlock and its on the sides of the pail. any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks:mug:

You have an active fermentation. It's normal. You just need to clean up the mess, re-sanitize and attach a blowoff tube where the airlock is.

One way is to take your bottling wand, put a small slit in it...Heat it for a few minutes in hot water to soften, then do this.

Airlockbo2.jpg

Ailockbo1.jpg

But it happens to all of us...

ANother way is to stick a hose right in the grommet hole.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was there any headspace in the fermenter? Is sounds like there probably was not. I would use an airlock if you can (just search here to find out how) and replace the lid. You will probably lose some wort but better that than an overflow all over your basement floor/ceiling.

Was there any headspace in the fermenter? Is sounds like there probably was not. I would use an airlock if you can (just search here to find out how) and replace the lid. You will probably lose some wort but better that than an overflow all over your basement floor/ceiling.

????

He's got an airlock on it.

More than likely he's just got a piece of hop blocking the airlock post or something. Or his fermentation is just rocking....

????

He's got an airlock on it.

More than likely he's just got a piece of hop blocking the airlock post or something. Or his fermentation is just rocking....

Sorry. Meant blow-off, not airlock.

i knew i had fermentation, thanks for the support guys. i suppose i was just looking for positive reenforcement. i just dont want to make a huge mess in the inlaws' basement haha.

i knew i had fermentation, thanks for the support guys. i suppose i was just looking for positive reenforcement. i just dont want to make a huge mess in the inlaws' basement haha.

Sounds like you got off pretty lucky. I've had a lid blown across the room and krausen from a very dark porter on my ceiling, walls, floor. I'm so stupid I did it a second time, "luckily" with an IPA the second time, before I started using a blow-off tube.

We had just come home from running errands,only to see the blob oozing out of my airlock. I'd just pitched the evening before,& that small starter was really taking off on my APA. Been rigging blow offs for the first 3-4 days of initial fermentation ever since.

I have had a blonde blow off the top....of my ale pail that is. And this was with a blowoff tube setup.

My problem was I had around 5.5 gallons from my batch and so not enough headspace.

It has turned out to be my best beer yet though!

Back