Which dry yeast is best for warmer temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThePonchoKid

Reaction score
I have a few friends who are interested in brewing, but they don't have fermenting chambers and they will all have different ambient temps.

What's a good dry yeast that wont get too funky in 70F(+/-2F) ambient?

ThePonchoKid said:
I have a few friends who are interested in brewing, but they don't have fermenting chambers and they will all have different ambient temps.

What's a good dry yeast that wont get too funky in 70F(+/-2F) ambient?

No temp control methods (swamp cooler, etc.)? In my opinion, the important word is "too" because I think it will get funky. Likely they will pitch and it is going to go into a fast fermentation which will heat up the internal temp 5-10 above ambient (70 +/- 2 + 5-10 = as high as 82*f)

NG, if you ask me.

Belgian yeasts tend to have higher fermentation temps. However, fermentation is exothermic, so even if the ambient is 72, the beer will heat up beyond that (per freisste's comment).

I used Safbrew S-33 recently on an amber ale. The closet I had it in read 73 degrees for pretty much the entire fermentation. The beer tasted great, maybe not like a traditional amber but good imho.

I used Safbrew S-33 recently on an amber ale. The closet I had it in read 73 degrees for pretty much the entire fermentation. The beer tasted great, maybe not like a traditional amber but good imho.

Well that's a start

Some of the friends already have the adequate ambient conditions. However I know not all of them will. I'm trying to get a few more people interested in home brew, and have started a 1 gallon brew project

If these are just one gallon batches it should be really easy for folks to make a mini swamp cooler, probably with a container or bucket they have lying around.

sounds like a neat project

US-05 made my pm pal taste great,even though ferment temp went up to 72F. Cooper's ale yeast was good & higher flocculation than 05. But the fruity esters from Cooper's should match the style of ale. English being one example.

http://byo.com/resources/yeast

One gallon jugs should be easy to keep cooler with plastic tubs and rotating frozen water bottles. Or, your friends should convince their girlfriends/roommates to save money on the heating bill and keep the house a bit cooler. :)

US-05 according to Fermentis does quite well in the 70-75 degree range. I have used it in that range many times with great results.

S-33 as mentioned above works well in the 70 degree plus range. That strain works well in wit beers. Not bad in a stout either.

I´ll stay away from s-33 along with s-23 it´s probably the worst dry yeast that I ever came across.

Obliviousbrew said:
Doesn´t attenuate well, takes forever to flocc, it´s slow and lazy, don´t like the esters too much. It was just frustrating the worst two beer that I made were with s-33

The last time I used it, I rehydrated it and it worked great.

Notty it´s fine a workhorse like us-05 i like s-04 too floccs nicely.
But I think I´m done with dry yeast. I keep a backup just in case.

s-33 does not floc well which is one of the reasons it works well in a wit. It has a bit lower attenuation than 05 but attenuates well. It is also a beast. Perhaps the most violent fermentation I have ever seen have been with this yeast.

I thought the S-33 worked great. I hit my fg on the money, the beer is crystal clear and tastes great to boot. I guess everyone has a different experience. The was a feint banana nose early on, but by 3 weeks in the bottle was gone.

Back