Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valvefan

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm going to dry hop for the first time next week. I have made an Imperial IPA (an attempt at an Arrogant Bastard clone). The beer will have been in the fermenter for 3 weeks.

I am looking for suggestions on how to add about 1oz (28g) of pellet hops. I was planning to just toss the pellets into the fermenter. I will not be using a secondary fermaentation vessel.

Suggestions and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi All,

I'm going to dry hop for the first time next week. I have made an Imperial IPA (an attempt at an Arrogant Bastard clone). The beer will have been in the fermenter for 3 weeks.

I am looking for suggestions on how to add about 1oz (28g) of pellet hops. I was planning to just toss the pellets into the fermenter. I will not be using a secondary fermaentation vessel.

Suggestions and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

large sanitized bag with marbles to weight it down. Obviously sanitize the marbles too. I just dump them in myself.

toss the pellets in give them 3 or 4 days then cold crash to drop the pellets. Then siphon through a paint strainer bag.

I use panty hose. Fill it with a bunch of marbles and boil it for 10 mins then add my hops, hook-line-and-sink-er. It takes 7 to 10 days to utilize your hops completely. Any more and you will get vegetal flavors. Any less and you wont get you $ worth. Or... You can drop them in and cold crash.

Pellets I'd just toss right in. Whole hops need to be weighed down otherwise you have a bunch of cones sitting on top of the floating ones. I'm learning that lesson with the IPA I have dry hopping right now.

I just threw the pellet into the primary at 3 weeks and bottled at 4 weeks. Tastes hoppy.

Back