Doctoring up a mexican kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poptop

Reaction score
This is my first try at beer I bought a muntons Mexican kit/can, I want to trade out the dextrose for light DME and the no name yeast packet for a kolosh wyeast smack pack. From what I've been reading on this site this is to produce a better beer ?
I don't have a controllable temp area to lager , but my cold storage varies from freezing 0c to 10c (32f to 50f )
any suggestions for a rookie?

I cannot control temps well enough to do lagers. I'm thinking those temps are too far apart to maintain the temp well enough.

Were I you I'd look at a clean ale yeast and keeping the temp between 62-68*.

I've doctored a few kits before, and the idea of using DME is a good one, as is using a better yeast.

I second the ale yeast recommendation. If it's light beer you are after, you can still make great light beer with ale yeast.

I love making cream ale, and that can rival any lager.

Guides, Walkthroughs and Tips for New Homebrewers:

Http://thebeginnersbrew.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

This is my first try at beer I bought a muntons Mexican kit/can, I want to trade out the dextrose for light DME and the no name yeast packet for a kolosh wyeast smack pack. From what I've been reading on this site this is to produce a better beer ?
I don't have a controllable temp area to lager , but my cold storage varies from freezing 0c to 10c (32f to 50f )
any suggestions for a rookie?

How much does your cold storage temp change day to day?

I Googled it and it seems it makes a ~4% ABV 6 gal batch. And I'm sure it's quite low on IBU's. Is this OK for you?

I do have another area that I can keep at a very steady 60f or higher but I cant control the the light ,this is where I have the batch stored right now ,as I did start it last night .
I did put a black bag over the primary . yea at 4% I'm happy, I want a light hot day beer with the lime

Did you make it 6 gals?

You'll need to check the yeast and see what temps it recommends.

You can place your fermentor in a tub of water and use frozen bottles of water (I like 2 lit bottles best) to keep the temp there.

At just ambient temp it'll get up around 10* warmer, and just in water it'll get about 5* warmer than that.

They sell fermometers (stick on thermometers such as on aquariums) for a few dollars. Keep it up above the water line but below max wort levels.

Yep filled it to 23l/6 gallons , I want it to be a light beer , I can get it colder no prob but it's a ale yeast an the package says 10c is as cold as I can go I'm at 15c /60f right now
I have the brew crew stick on thermometer on my primary an it's indicating that I'm right at the low end for ale

Take a look at the White Labs San Francisco Lager yeast WLP810. I use it all the time. Works for those of us that do not have a controlled environment.
"This yeast is used to produce the "California Common" style beer. A unique lager strain which has the ability to ferment up to 65 degrees while retaining lager characteristics. Can also be fermented down to 50 degrees for production of marzens, pilsners and other style lagers."

Sounds interesting I'll have to take a look

Back