Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Do you drink your bad batches?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 03:15 AM   #1
Da11en47
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Do you drink your bad batches?

I've made 3 batches now, all from Mr Beer. Pretty much everytime I did something wrong, examples, too much sugar, not letting ferment long enough, or Mr. Beer sucks, I don't know...

Anyways, I still have some left and don't have the heart to just pour it out, I can tell it has some level of alcohol, but the taste is just off in different ways.

Do you drink it, pour it down the sink, give it to the dog?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 03:16 AM   #2
twalte
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I had one bad batch - 5 gallons - I drank it as punishment for screwing up the recipe and loved (kind of) every minute of it. (It was my first home brew. Boiled off way too much water, so it was very intense with flavor and alcohol, but not foul tasting)

"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa

Last edited by twalte; 01-03-2013 at 03:28 AM. Reason: Clarification

Old 01-03-2013, 03:16 AM   #3
LabRatBrewer
Lost in a Maze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 783 Times on 543 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

Let it age. Time heals many bad brews. But, yes I drink it.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:17 AM   #4
ilikeguns
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

drinking my worst batch at the moment.. not horrible by any stretch, just not something I would buy again if it were a six pack from a brewery.

I don't know if I could dump a batch.. i'd probably bottle it (i normally keg) and let it sit for a few months to see if it improved.

life is too short to drink beer you don't love...

Old 01-03-2013, 03:24 AM   #5
CatHead
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 172

My second batch is bottle carbing now. My first fermented too hot and came out with a flavor which has decreased with time. I would only dump a batch if it were infected or horrible. If it was just pretty bad I may drink a bottle or two at the end of the night but too much time and money to throw away for semibad beer.

Gone: Dry Irish Stout, Pale Ale

Old 01-03-2013, 03:26 AM   #6
bbrim
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have dumped 3 or 4 batches. If I wanted to drink sh*t I would just save myself some time and buy Natty Ice. If a batch is a little off I will drink it but I was having a problem with tannin extraction at one point and that was not something I could tolerate. I also dumped a batch that was 100% sour mash. I don't even like to think about that one.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:54 AM   #7
Ostomo517
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 573 Times on 363 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Ive had one bad batch but yeah I ended up drinking it, but the aging thing did help with the off flavors diminishing as it got older.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:28 AM   #8
brewde
Recipes 

I can't speak for everyone, but I never throw out a batch that is even remotely tolerable. I've had 2 go down the drain, but they were barely approachable. But like everyone, I've had my share of sub-par batches. They usually get pushed to the back of my storage area where I find them again after I've gone through another batch. After sitting for sometimes 6 months to a year they can be quite good. I say I can't speak for everyone because I don't imagine everyone has the space to hide several batches of beer for an untold amount of tiime.

As for the Mr. Beer kits themselves, I've brewed several of them. They all seem to share a taste that I can't place. I'm not sure if the malt extract is really that bad, or from their crappy yeast, but I've never been able to turn out an excellent batch with them. However, those batches in particalar are the ones I've found the most gain from forgetting for a while. So good advise IMHO, store it, read up on "How To Brew" (Palmer) to try to find your mistake, try again. Who knows then, you may end up with 2 good batches of beer.

Bottled: Winter Warmer
Secondary: Sweet Corn Ale
On deck: Moose Drool Clone, DFH 120

Old 01-03-2013, 05:19 AM   #9
CiscoKid
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've had some batches come out that had some off flavors that I could tolerate. On the other hand, back when I bottled I didn't realize that a blueberry fragment became trapped near the tip of my bottling wand (after brewing a blueberry ale for my wife). The four batches I brewed/bottled the next month later developed one nasty lactic infection. I stored those in the drain.

As for Mr. Beer - good luck with that. I had no luck with it and if anything stayed away from homebrewing for a number of years after my first exposure via Mr. Beer.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:51 PM   #10
TheWulf
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My first batch didn't turn out too well... not that I was expecting it to. It was a brew kit that someone gave me two years ago and was well expired

I made it anyways. It turned out "ok" and drinkable, but not great. I will drink a bottle once in a while, but I generally just serve it up to people who don't really care what they drink and they love every minute of it!

Quick Reply