Dme vs. Lme?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dry. It's less prone to oxidation, so if the kit's been sitting around for a while it's still probably going to be OK. When you hear about "extract twang," general consensus is that it's older, liquid extract that's gotten a little oxidized. Dry extract is good for years.

EDIT: It's also easier to handle; just cut open a bag instead of warming up a can and having to spoon out everything. Stuff's so viscous, it's a PITA. If you have some left over (granted, not really an issue with a kit), it's easy to toss DME in an airtight container, while liquid extract doesn't really have a shelf life once it's opened.

I should say, buying LME-based kits from the major online suppliers shouldn't be an issue, they go through the kits so quickly that there shouldn't be an issue with freshness. I wouldn't buy LME kits from a place without high inventory turnover, though.

Ignoring the freshness, I still think DME's a lot easier to work with... but it can be a little more expensive. Either works, as long as the supplier is good.

I use both,& never had any oxidation issues. But I buy canned LME for the amount I normally use. I like using them together.

I did one LME and one DME before going to AG. Small sample size but I would vote DME.

I vote for LME from an online retailer. To me, DME is difficult to dissolve due to clumping. When I need LME I order from Northern Brewer and it comes in plastic containers similar to milk and I've never had an old or bad batch since, as was noted earlier, they turn it over fast enough to ensure freshness.

Now that I have a long handled stirrer with the paddle on the end,dissolving the clumps is even easier. But I do think the LME adds a certain freshness back to it. Another dimension of flavor,anyway. I think they work better together than separately.

DME, for pretty much every reason.

The only advantage I can see for LME *EVER* is that it is cheaper in most places when purchased by itself, so in cases where you're not brewing a kit, using whole cans of LME where you can, and using DME when the alternative would be a partial can of LME, is often the cheapest way to go. Oddly, my LHBS sells DME for less than LME (both Briess), so I quickly ditched LME altogether.

And nowadays, I get extract in bulk. I brew AG, but occasionally I feel like brewing something quick and easy, or need DME to make up missed points when checking the pre-boil gravity. I also make big yeast starters. So when my club organizes a group-buy from the local malt distributor, I'll also order a 55lb box of DME if I need more (that's enough DME to fill TWO 5gal buckets about 90% of the way!)

My LHBS is the same way. I can get Munton's or LD Carlson DME in 3lb bags for $13.35. The cooper's cans,3.75lb,are $18.85. And I'd have to say the DME there is fresher. Def high turnover,makes me think there are a lot of AG'rs in the area.
I can't wait for harvest time to stock up on hops!

I like canned LME better but I use both as situation and need dictates. I find that getting DME into the pot without having a clumpy mess to be difficult and trying.

Reading through these, it sounds like most people's preference is based on which is easier for the user to handle, and not so much about which makes a better beer, but if you search out old archived threads, you can find some real knock-down, drag out battles over the relative merits of each.

I'm a bit of an efficiency hound (read: cheapskate) when it comes to ingredients, and DME leftovers are FAR easier to preserve than LME. Since I use the leftovers for starters, I go for DME. Sure, LME doesn't float in the air and make a mess like DME, but, all things considered, I prefer DME.

SteveM said:
I like canned LME better but I use both as situation and need dictates. I find that getting DME into the pot without having a clumpy mess to be difficult and trying.

Reading through these, it sounds like most people's preference is based on which is easier for the user to handle, and not so much about which makes a better beer, but if you search out old archived threads, you can find some real knock-down, drag out battles over the relative merits of each.

I find light DME is pretty often indistinguishable from an equivalent 2-row base in an AG beer (with a moderate mash temp, of course), whereas LME, as has been noted even in this thread, appears to be the source of "extract twang" if not super-fresh and if improperly stored/used.

Other than that, if they're both used properly and both are extremely fresh, there shouldn't be a difference in the quality of the beer it makes. THAT'S why you don't see much about that specific aspect.

Back